First straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Martin-j, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

Shave number 2 is in the books and I dare say this one was a bit better than the first. I think in part because I have an understanding through the experience of the shave #1 of how the razor feel on the face, and I was marginally less intimidated than the first shave. From beginning to end it was 30 minutes of solitude with a cup of coffee and the morning news on the radio.

The quality of the shave is akin to when I begain DE shaving... very good with plenty room for improvement.

2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Excellent! There is nothing more relaxing and enjoyable than an unhurried successful straight razor shave. Once you have your "system" down and the nervousness goes away, the straight shave is probably the most relaxing daily routines.

Dansco, TestDepth, M14Shooter and 2 others like this.
  3. Martin-j

I must have been a straight razor user in a previous life because the ease with which the shaves are coming has exceeded my expectations; and the speed with which I am adapting to using this magnificent tool has far exceeded my expectations. I've used the razor six times now and the last two shaves were easily as good as my DE efforts, with irritation and weepers on par with the first few weeks of DE shaving. That is to say I have some irritation that I deem acceptable and similar to what I would now expect from an R 41 shave where I didn't pay attention to preparation and technique.

I've embraced the idea that slow and steady wins this race... I don't think truer words can be spoken with regard to using a straight razor.

4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Having good prep, slick lather and post shave care are more than half the battle. Those that have had success and experience with de and injectors are way ahead of the learning curve, comparing those that start right off with straights.

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Congrats, you are off to an excellent start.

6. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

What I find strange is that even though I am right handed, I shave better with my left hand when I am shaving the left side of my face. Not sure why.

Dansco, mrchick and Spyder like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It’s not strange. I find that it’s easiest to shave with the same hand as the side of the face I’m shaving.

Dansco and Spyder like this.
  8. Martin-j

Four-month follow-up: This straight razor journey that I began in December has a really delivered! I've become rather comfortable handling the razor, and more importantly shaving. When I first began using the straight razor I honestly did not expect I would be able to achieve results on par with what I had been getting with my 2013 R 41, or my 2011 R 41. I was wrong. Not only was I wrong, I was really, really wrong.

I am 61 shaves into my straight razor journey. I initially bought a Hart Steel 5/8 inch round point satin blade, and after about 10 shaves I was feeling pretty good about it. After 30 there was no turning back. I have not used a safety razor since March 1, and that was out of necessity due to a business travel. Since then I've had another trip and I decided to, since I check my luggage anyway, bring the straight razor with me. The results were what I expected… Way better than using a safety razor. Now I am looking to buy a decent travel strop because I don't anticipate using a safety razor while I'm on the road. I'm also planning to liquidate my safety razor collection.

Because I had such good luck with the Hart Steel round point, when I received an email notification two weeks ago about a limited run of Hart Steel 5/8 inch straights with the barber notch, I had to take advantage of it (plus I was looking to get another razor). I'm glad I did. I had my first shave without razor this morning and it was spectacular (by the way, it came shave ready straight out-of-the-box). I checked it out using the hanging hair test and it popped off hairs rather nicely so I decided to strop it and see how it would shave.

As everyone knows, using a straight razor comes with a steep, steep learning curve. I don't think this can be underemphasized. Along the way I managed to cut myself three times (albeit one of those cuts was on my finger due to carelessness), another cut was sustained under my chin also due to carelessness, and the third was due to poor technique and learning the razor. This third one occurred in early January. I've also had a number of rough shaves where using an alum block emphasized where my technique needs to improve. And with that, weepers (early on) were not uncommon. For the last two weeks my shaves have been as comfortable as using an EJ 89, but the results are so much closer, and much longer laster.

I've found that lather preparation is critical, more than using a safety razor where you can get away with mediocre ladder. In order, the soaps that have seem to work best for me are Mitchell's, Fine Green Vetiver, Proraso (Red & Green), WSP Sandalwood, and Stirling Ozark Mtn.

I always strop before the shave (50 laps on leather), and have forced myself to shave with both hands. This was a little awkward in the beginning, but worth the extra effort and now using my subordinate hand is just as effective as my dominant hand.

I keep wondering when it will be time to hone the round point, but the razor keeps delivering comfortable shaves without any kind of tugging, which I am am given to understand is a signal to consider honing it.

I honestly consider myself a straight razor user now. I've crossed over, can't go back.

Happy Sunday to all.

Keithmax, Spyder, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That sounds great. Glad you have been so successful in converting to straights.

Martin-j and TestDepth like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Awesome! You’re in a club that many will not understand. I have liquidated all safety razors, with the exception of three; none have been called to duty in almost two years.

Martin-j and TestDepth like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy096:

Martin-j likes this.
  12. Martin-j

I didn't understand it myself until I started down the path, but I was really ready to give it a go. I suppose, with the alternatives available, putting a knife to your throat every morning is low on a lot of peoples lists. It's really not that scary... and in fact, without question the worst cuts I've given myself were courtesy of my 2011 R41.

There are a few reasons I am happy to have gone this route. (1) It's a zero waste proposition, no steel to recycle, no expensive cartridges to toss after a week or so. (2) The shaves are really a lot better and much longer lasting than any DE I've used. Even my wife has noticed the difference. (3) After the initial investment of a razor, strop and hones, the long term ROI will clearly show this is a much less expensive way to keep a clean face. (4) It's an old school approach, and (for me) matches my preference for fountain pens and mechanical/automatic watches. Sometimes I find the older ways are really the better ways.

Spyder likes this.