First time DE Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mimo, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Mimo

Mimo New Member

Hi Guys,

Right now I use a regular 3 blade razor and i want to purchase a DE razor but I have no idea what to look at and purchase for a beginner.

Can you guys give me your feedback and some wisdom!!

Bobcat and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! A really nice razor is the Edwin Jagger DE89. Or you could go vintage, a Gillette Tech or maybe a Super Speed. You'll need blades, I'd go with a sampler pack. Lots to try and see whats best for you.

Mimo likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here's a helpful link to help you on your way:
    *CLICK*

Bobcat likes this.
  4. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

Take a look at the Lord LP1822L also known as The Lord L6. It is all metal, and inexpensive. It is not too aggressive. I think it is an excellent razor for a beginner or an experienced shaver.

eric.

Lothar101 likes this.
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I'd suggest looking at EJ's or Merkurs to start. If you want a TTO, the Onetouch/Microtouch/Pawnstars razor that's popping up in Targets and Walmarts for $20 or so is a good solid choice too. I think Vanderhagen also has the same razor under their own name.

I'd just caution you not to go for the $3 or under razors you see on Amazon and other sites. Not good. Not good at all.

Mimo likes this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've purchased a razor from Maggard Razors that has a head similar to the DE89. Very mild and under $20. Great people, to.

Bristle Me and Mimo like this.
  7. Mimo

Mimo New Member

Great feedback...Im leaning towards the EJ DE89 and one of the merkurs...still trying to figure out which one of these two to buy

8. Herm2502

My very first was the DE89. Sweet razor. Good luck and have fun. Or...why not both?

9. Mr. Shaverman

If you've got it between 2, just buy whichever one looks best to you. Honestly, the Merkurs and EJ's aren't the same, but they are similar enough and are both good choices to start with. You're going to end up owning more than one razor, that's just how it works.

10. Mimo

Mimo New Member

I guess i might as well get both and rotate them

maltedmilk likes this.
  11. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    YES! That answer moves you to the bonus round! Be sure to share your experiences with your fellow addicts here.

... and welcome to the dark side... er, TSD!

;)

12. Mr. Shaverman

I'd just get one. If you're learning it's best to use the same razor for the first 30 days or so, to learn your technique and figure it all out. After the 30 days, you'll have a better idea about what kind of razor you want toss into the rotation, too. Like when I started I really thought I'd have no desire for TTO or open comb. Now I have 3 TTO's and like 3 open combs.

Slow Joe and maltedmilk like this.
  13. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    :signs011:

I was just joshing before, but Mr. Shaverman is dead nuts on target. You can get to a better shave fairly quickly after you switch, but "wax on, wax off" for the first 30 days. You will develop muscle memory and a feel for your razor. They become the basis for later comparisons.

Read the stickies, use the search box, and ask plenty of questions in "Newbies" and "Shave School." You're gonna love it!

Mimo likes this.
  14. Mimo

Mimo New Member

Just bought the Edwin Jagger DE89L with lined crome plating and a sampler pack of feather, astra, merkur and derby razors...ill post my thoughts on this later on.

Mr. Shaverman and maltedmilk like this.
  15. Herm2502

Excellent choice! Have fun. You'll need sunglasses, the chrome on that baby shines!

16. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

All too often newbs come from cartridge razors to DEs without even knowing that there are other single blade alternatives such as single edge razors (whose blades last much longer despite having only one edge) and injectors (extremely easy to use and very comfortable. They also use just one blade). For me both of these options give me a better shave than DEs.

My best recommendation is a single edge razor such as a GEM Micromatic- It is very robust and is twist to open. Or an injector (right). These are not plagued by the many alignment problems that the Super Speeds have. It is much more likely you will get any of these in usable shape as a newb may not know what to look for. These two also take care of the angle automatically (flat against the face).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Otherwise for a double edge get a Gillette Tech They are very robust and also lack the problems a lot of Super Speeds and the like may have. They are too, made of solid brass. Though annoyingly so they have a three piece design that requires disassembly to load a blade:
    [​IMG]
    You can get TWO of any of these razors for the price of ONE Merkur or Edwin Jagger and they are leagues ahead in build quality and durability. Merkurs, EJs, and most new razors are made of pot metal, which is a cheap zinc material that is extremely brittle.

17. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I tend to disagree with such statements about pot metal. "Pot metal" is a very broad and vague term that does not have a specific standard in it's production, and as such there are superior and inferior compounds. Depending on it's composition it can be soft, brittle, porous, or just right for the intended application...They are not all created equal.

maltedmilk likes this.
  18. Mr. Shaverman

Yeah, this. ^^^

The term 'pot metal' is an odd slang term that doesn't really have any sort of meaning, especially if you've ever looked at what pots are actually made of. lol. Every hobby I've been a part of, from guns, to cars, to bikes, and now razors, has people shouting about inferior pot metal products. Yeah, okay. Not.

Not everything has to last 100 years. Zamak, the alloy you're calling pot metal, is a good, strong alloy. It's also very common. Yep, things break when you drop them. Metals rust. Take care of things and they work fine for a long time.

Also, from Wikipedia: While zinc alloys are popularly referred to as pot metal or white metal, zamak is held to higher industrial standards.

19. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I have a dog leash whose clip is made of zinc. it has taken all kinds of abuse including being dropped on ceramic, concrete, and hardwood floors as well as constantly banging around my dog's 1.5in collar's heavy stainless steel collar and it has help up like a champ. So no it doesn't have to be inferior.

But the experiences many had had with these razors lead me to believe these razors are deliberately designed to break (planned obsolescence). I personally had my Merkur fall from my hand to the sink. A height of less than 2 feet. The thread post broke off. If it had been a Gillette Tech it just would not have happened at all.

The GEM Micromatic sold for $1 or $17 in today's money. USA made. Guaranteed unbreakable. If one could have an identical razor made in a foreign country today, costing $40, that would only last 5 years, what sane person would pick the latter option??? Things should have at least greater durability than a raw egg. That phone manufacturers have implemented things like gorilla glass to make screens more robust show that things should be at least designed to take the occasional tumble. Some of these pot metal razors have even fell apart without even having been dropped. A problem Merkur blames on "hard water." It's a joke really.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looks like you are off to a good start.

welcome.jpg