First time ordering soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jason koonce, Oct 21, 2017.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I will definitely be looking into Stirling

jtspartan, Zykris and Bobcat like this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

They are a tallow based option as are several others. Some of their formulas are mutton based and some believe that performer even better than the tallow but there are limited scent options in mutton.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern likes this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I have Stirling's Barbershop and Glacial Wintergreen. For me, the Barbershop feels better in the cold weather, and the Wintergreen(by the name itself)when it's much warmer.

4. Paul Turner

I've also been quite pleased with the quality from Local Gent Shave Co. I'm about to finish my first one(Fields&Streams)and I will be buying another in the future.

5. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

I know you asked for advice on soaps, but if you place an order with a company that has creams, you night consider getting a tube of Derby Cream. It is inexpensive, performs way above its price point, and comes in different scents. Derby cream is VERY easy to turn into lather, and it will give you a baseline for lathering your soaps. I use their lavender cream, and I really like it.

As far as soaps, I agree that Stirling is a solid choice. Great performance, easy to lather (for a soap), and available in sample size pucks.

6. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Stirling and/or Route 66.

7. Paul Turner

Right, 66 is great, too. I look forward to my "Cavendish soap/Clubman Special Resere" combo again as we get into late fall/winter.

RyX likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I flat out, 100% think the mutton base is slicker than the beef tallow. The scent options are limited, and tend to be stronger scents. I am fortunate in that I like them all, but would maybe recommend trying samples first. 6 oz is a lot of shaves to get one you don’t care for.

9. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I agree they seen slicker. Unfortunately I tried electric sheep and the wife and I dont like citronella so that one is a hard no. I'll work my way through some others later. A stronger EM or EM with menthol in mutton would be interesting.

10. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

66 bourbon jungle! Love it.

jason koonce and RyX like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Sounds like the best way to enjoy Xecutive Man soap is with Xecutive Man aftersave, right?

Zykris likes this.
  12. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I have some and like it a lot, so does the wife ;-)

jason koonce and Paul Turner like this.
  13. jason koonce

I probably won’t try citronella lol

14. jason koonce

I will try that out

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's a combined effect of The Wet Shave Renaissance and the power of the internet. Soap used to and can still be made in small batches. Referred to as "artisan" for the less than production line truck load quantities.
    Good luck with your choices! Check the Buy, Sell, Trade forums where members offer soaps they tried but didn't enjoy. It's usually a scent issue that prompts someone to let go of slightly used products.

16. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

What is the scent profile of Wilkinson Sword blue stick, and how quickly does it lather? I'm always looking for travel options, but often limited on time.

Also both can be ordered online here in the U.S. tho I don't think they are found readily in local convenience stores.

PLAla likes this.
  17. jason koonce

Hmm I have seen that area yet I will check it out thank you

RyX likes this.
  18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

As good a place to start as any. The sample sizes are fantastic.
    In the end, it probably won't matter all that much. If you enjoy it and stick with it, and are like the rest of us, you will branch out into other brands in fairly short order.
    There are some amongst us who can limit their quality soaps/creams to one or two. Those folks like to post about their frugality, and are often seen driving a K Car and contemplating purchasing a VCR, but want to wait to see if the fad will pass.

19. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I didn't read through all of the threads, so, sorry if this is a repeat of another.

There are great places to get lots of samples that you can try. I like Maggard Razors (http://www.maggardrazors.com/) because they carry samples of a ton of different soaps, aftershaves, balms, bath soaps, blades, etc.

That said my personal favorites are traditional scents that lather very nicely. Stirling is one of those. So, is Mickey Lee Soapworks. So, here is my list and you can get Stirling and MLS samples as well as a ton of others.

Cella
    Tabac
    Taylor of Old Bond Street - Jermyn Street
    Taylor of Old Bond Street - Avocado
    Taylor of Old Bond Street - Mr. Taylor
    Mickey Lee - Grand Havana
    Mickey Lee - The Kraken
    Mickey Lee - Colonia di Agumi
    Mickey Lee - Reunion - probably not for everyone and not really a traditional scent
    Stirling - Executive Man
    Stirling - Glastonbury
    Stirling - Dunshired
    Stirling - Baker Street
    Wet Shaving Products - Matterhorn
    Wet Shaving Products - Tobacco - not really a traditional scent, but I like it
    Wet Shaving Products - Mahogany
    Wet Shaving Products - Ol' Kentucky

That's quite a list, but try a bunch of samples first. You will find what kinds of scents and lather that you like and if you get tired of one then you can pass it on to someone else. And, you didn't break the bank.

Paul Turner, RyX and jason koonce like this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Palmolive is mainly soapy. It's not a refined scent, but makes a great lather, and is very inexpensive (at least here).

I like the WS blue stick better myself. There is something herbal in the scent, and I think the post shave feel is very good. Both soaps are light scented, which I prefer.

I travel a lot, and both sticks work with any kind of water for me.

PLAla and RyX like this.