First Time SE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by true01, Apr 29, 2011.

1. true01

true01 Member

Well last night I finally got to try my GEM Micromatic OC and all I can say is WOW best shave of my life Ive been usuing DE's for a couple months now and even ventured into straights about a month ago but man o man what a shave...Might have to unload some of my DE's so i can acquire some more SE's(not getting rid of any straights) anyways just thought I'd share my new found happiness,,,,

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Good to know it worked out good for you. I never liked the one I had, but the Star 1912 and Gem Featherweight did work good for me.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088:happy088

Ain't it great? :D

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Woo hoo! Congrats!

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Good news is you may not have to sell off your D/E's, most S/E razors are unappreciated, and can usually be found cheaper than D/E's.

Now notice I said most, some of the old lather catchers will bring in a premium.

<just wanted to get that in there before Steve made me look foolish... er.>

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

very true... you can get micromatics, push buttons, 1912s, and g-bars fairly cheap. A 1912 deluxe or lather catcher gets much pricier.

7. Alucard

Alucard New Member

The ER Streamline is my current favorite.
    [​IMG]

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I'm impressed that you got a good shave from an o.c. micromatic on the first try!

SEs are great- although the o.c. micromatic is in a club all by itself.

9. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

My Gem Push Button is the best shaver in my den. All my DE's are minor league in comparison.

10. Mr. Flay

Mr. Flay New Member

When I don't give too much thought to my SE choice du jour, the Heavy Flat Top (G-Bar) tends to get the call. I think it's because the handle and my grip like each other so much. If not the HFT, I like my Gem Junior ("The Parade") or the 1943 military issue Gem Junior with the dull metal alloy handle (because it's funky-cool looking).

BTW: I'm a B&B denizen that has been displaced by the great upgrade apocalypse, so I thought I'd stop my here for a look-see. I might just become a regular. Hi guys. :D

11. dilly-b

dilly-b Member

YMMV

The cool thing about YMMV is that unlike the 2 party system of Carts, "we" have so many choices, and can really find something that we like, and that WORKS. I thought the OCMM was the best until I got a nice GEM 1912. To me, it both looks better (looks good enough to be displayed on the bathroom counter by SWMBO), and gives a better more comfortable shave than the OCMM. The guard of the 1912 is a brilliant engineering feat - 'open-comby' enough to permit BBS but nearly impossible to bleed - I dare say my 1912 is "safer" than my 1959 Flare Tip SS. Safety RAD cured!:happy102

12. NoahG

NoahG Member

Welcome to the Den! I have a Contour II that works pretty good, but I have a Junior and G bar on the way that I'm really excited about.

13. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Welcome to the Den-hope you stay. You're handle/grip thing is so true. Those G-Bars look like they're new, they've stood up to time quite well, and they're great shavers. Is the "Parade" the one with the fat plastic handle? I have that one and also get great shaves with it. I'd love to see a pic of your military Gem Jr. as I have no idea what that is.

14. Mr. Flay

Mr. Flay New Member

Actually, I have boxed Juniors with both the fat plastic handle and with a gold fluted handle and both boxes proclaim "The Parade." The box for the gold-handled Junior also says "gold plated." If I ever stop spending my money on shaving stuff I'll make an effort to replace my broken camera. But anyway, I was referring to the gold handled razor as one of my goto favorites.

Regarding the service issue, I can't take a picture of mine, but I found one on another old thread in these forums:

[Oops, my post count isn't sufficient to post links, so search for the thread]:
    "More 1912 love" and look at post number 23.