First upgrade, brush or razor?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by troy_gies, Apr 4, 2015.

1. troy_gies

troy_gies Active Member

I know this is highly subjective, but I'm looking for opinions. My "starter kit" is an AOS pure badger brush and a Microtouch DE. I am in that fun stage of learning tecnique and trying products; but what do I invest in first. Brush? Razor?

2. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Brush. My vote any way. I have gone through far more brushes trying to find the ones I like vs razors which I like them all for the most part.

troy_gies likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Brush. Hold off on the razor until you get your technique dialed in.

GDCarrington and troy_gies like this.
  4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I would vote brush. Trying an inexpensive boar brush was enlightening for me. You dont have to spend hundreds to get a great brush. Vie long horse hair is equally good.

troy_gies likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Are you unhappy with either the brush or the razor? Replace the one with which you are less happy.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Brush. You need a boar to balance out that badger.

7. drjenkins

drjenkins Well-Known Member

Brush. I have the same AOS Badger brush from my starter kit.

Snag an Omega 10066 Boar or something along those lines. Start cheaper until you know what you like or want. I went through this exact same thing recently since I just started DE shaving in the middle of January. Spent a bit too much on a brush that I didn't need and rarely use, only to be gifted the Omega, and use it every shave. Can't go wrong with a $10 investment.

And honestly, if you haven't yet. Do the 30 day Focus/Rule. It was a great learning experience, and makes you focus on nothing but getting better and learning your tools. It's not as fun as spending and getting new things every couple of days, but I wish I'd have done it when I started out. Would have saved me a good bit of coin.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/30-day-rule-meet-the-30-day-focus-greater-flexibility.42673/

Bama Samurai, Troy M, Cap7597 and 3 others like this.
  8. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

My vote is A nice Omega Boar Brush 81052 $14 and an Erwin Jagger DE89 Extra Grip $39 Omega makes very good Boar brushes and the EJ 89's are very popular.
    The Micro Touch is a mild beginners razor but in my opinion for serious shaving a better razor is needed

troy_gies likes this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Get a better brush then use the 30 day rule that can be found in the link in my signature line.

troy_gies and clint64 like this.
  10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I think I'm the odd man out in this one. I used the same brush for many months. It ended up being the last thing I changed.
    I started experimenting with soap/cream samplers, aftershave/cologne samplers, and blade samplers first.
    Then I started picking up vintage razors in antique and second hand shops for a few bucks here and there.
    It was almost a year from when I started before I tried a different brush.
    In the end it probably doesn't matter since you're going to end up with several of everything sooner than you think.
    Around here, resistance is futile.
    What you do need to work on though, is how you explain (to a significant other) that DE shaving saves money but you have to keep buying more stuff and why you need three dozen plus razors. You'll probably need to hide some stuff for awhile.

chrisbd, Troy M, IDuck and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

As far as explaining to the wife or significant other I ask my wife if she prefers me to collect maybe more chromatic harmonicas
    @$200 plus each or a vintage razor @$3-12 each. End of questions!:angelic013:

chrisbd likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1

troy_gies likes this.
  13. troy_gies

troy_gies Active Member

Thank you all! I have come to the conclusion that my first acquisition will be a brush. Probably Omega 10066, but I'll look around a little more before buying. But the 30 day focus will be my first goal. I am fine with the brush and razor as is and I really enjoy seeing technique improvements already. Just need to make sure that I have enough blades and soap... I'll check in at the 30 day focus later. Thanks again!

14. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I know this goes against what a lot of members say, but I would go out and get some different razors. I had so much fun early on experimenting with the different ones I picked up. I tried to do the 30 day rule, but every time I got a new razor I would want to try it out. Honestly I never felt that it was hurting my technique.

Keithmax, troy_gies and IDuck like this.
  15. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

i would say hold off on ALL (i know that sounds crazy)....as others have said get that technique dialed in, and you will have a better idea of what you may be looking for...if anything get a blade sample pack, but really get good with the shaving aspect...the MTO isnt a bad razor nor is your brush IMO, but to me (YMMV) it would be a razor, i promise this wont be the last you buy of either one and the good thing is you cant go wrong either way

troy_gies likes this.
  16. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

If your funds are in line why not just replace both? If you find that your technique isn't quite solid enough after a few runs with a new razor you always have your old one on standby for the time being to correct problems. Same as with the brush.

troy_gies likes this.
  17. troy_gies

troy_gies Active Member

I think the razor will quickly follow the brush. I bought the MTO specifically to see if I would like to use a DE. Which I do. I am still surprised just how much I thoroughly enjoy traditional shaving. I try to take my time and really appreciate every shave. Will be a fun journey.

Daytonkb likes this.
  18. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

As long as your having fun and enjoying the experience thats all that matters!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    troy_gies likes this.
  19. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

Omega 10066 or Semogue 1305 are both great brushes that will last. :)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

the experienced shaver can get just as close a shave from a mild razor as he can from an aggressive one.
    to the op; get what you like and can afford. keep it fun. you have what you need to get nice shaves. trade for preference not necessity.

Bama Samurai likes this.