First use of Clubman

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by PLAla, Apr 29, 2016.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:prrr:

Jim99 likes this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I sense a need for YoTo Yooter.

AGHisBBS, Jim99 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

Wrong thread! :D

AGHisBBS and Paul Turner like this.
  4. Paul Turner

hey now wait a pickin cotton minute, I've seen references to YO in other threads-in fact, YOU were the culprit. Other than that, have a lovely day :))).

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

:D :eatdrink047:

6. brit

brit in a box

i like it,my wife says its her favourite on me.i like its skin feel.i wear a/s every day but i don t shave every day.so i use av green sport or clubman.good regular day old school stuff.i am 50 this year so old man scent? my grandfathers old age home didn t smell like clubman....

AGHisBBS, PLAla and Paul Turner like this.
  7. Mark B

Mark B New Member

Went back to a real barbershop for the first time in a long time yesterday. After a great haircut and a true neck shave with a straight razor the barber hit me up with some Clubman. Shortly after commenting on my haircut, my wife also said that I smelled great. In my 20s and 30s I spent so much on fancy colognes. It's funny that a classic got a better response than any of those. I had a similar experience with Aqua Velva years ago.

8. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I like Clubman, no memories for me but it is a solid scent.

PLAla likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup I seen it too.

Bama Samurai and PLAla like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Clubman is a favorite of mine. Just saying.

Ijustmissedthe50s and PLAla like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Just agreeing. :)

wchnu, Ijustmissedthe50s and PLAla like this.
  13. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I finally got my first bottle today. I've seen this in drugstores for as long as I can remember and yet I never purchased a bottle. None of the men in my family have ever used Clubman for some reason.

In the bottle, it smells 100% like talcum powder. After splashing some on, I pick up a little spiciness and tiny bit of citrus. This doesn't smell anything like any barber shop that I have ever visited in my long life. Instead, I would describe this scent as a strong base of talc with top notes of grandma's house. Now it has me wondering why my grandma's house smelled like this.

The performance was terrible. I had the same feeling about Aqua Velva but I used it for countless years just because I didn't realize there were better options out there and it's what my father has always used. Just like Aqua Velva, it left my face feeling unbelievably dry and tight. I gave it about 3 minutes before I had to slap some creme on my face. After I type this up, I'm going to go slather on another metric ton of creme. I also had a pretty bad shave today and it's exacerbating the razor burn big time.

I was already an old man but now I smell like one too. I really only bought this because I wanted to get a feel for the scent. Everyone kept calling it barbershop but that never made sense to me because none of the barber shops that I've visited have had a distinct smell. I might keep a bottle around in the future just because I like having a cheap splash on hand in case I shave before showering, but I could definitely live without this. I'm just glad that I finally understand the barbershop scent. From the forums to sites like basenotes, everyone always just called this the "classic barbershop scent" instead of describing it in a way that I could understand but now I finally possess a piece of this esoteric knowledge.

jsw41 and PLAla like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Personally my barber as a kid used clubman talc on the back of the neck after the haircut. He used a brush loaded with the talc. So I definitely get barbershop.

15. Demidog

My barber uses talc after haircuts as well so I can see why people would call it barbershop but calling it talc is more understandable to me. I applied some more just now since the creme caused the scent to dissipate and I'm getting some more citrus. It's definitely a very interesting, manly scent and it has a nostalgic quality to it, probably because it smells so much like my grandparents' house when I was a kid. It's a very suitable fragrance for an aftershave and I want to like it but it's too drying for me. When it comes to alcohol based aftershaves, I have much better results with Stirling, The Shave Den aftershave, Ginger's Garden, and Proraso, as none of them seem to dry out my skin much at all.

EnglishChannel, Paul Turner and PLAla like this.
  16. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I like Clubman as well as Florida Water and yes, I was first introduced to them in a barbershop.

PLAla likes this.
  17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have really wanted to like the original, but I haven't been able to warm up to it yet. My first Clubman of any kind was Osage Rub and I love the stuff. A very close second is VIBR.

PLAla likes this.
  18. Demidog

Dare I ask what Bay Rum smells like? Is it really just like actual rum or is it more complex? Please don't let it be something ambiguous like "it smells like a barbershop."

PLAla likes this.
  19. RetLEO-07

I've got two Clubman A/S. the Classic and Virgin Island Bay Rum. Love 'em both. Matter of fact, splashed some Classic on today, after a shave with Catie's Bubbles "Tonsorial Parlour" soap. Now that was a great shave!

PLAla likes this.
  20. RetLEO-07

The Bay Rum smells like what I would imagine it should smell like. I had a sample of Captains Choice that didn't do anything for me. Sorry but that's the best I can do. It's a Good Smell.

PLAla likes this.