First Valet shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wchnu, Jan 18, 2009.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

So I got this really really nice clean bright valet auto strop yesterday. I had watched Dave's Video on how to modify a SE blade to fit the thing. Worked up one this morning and took it around the block.

First I would have to say that it is a lot like a shave with a 1912 Gem. I think they were made in roughly the same time period.. Not 100% sure on that.

It was a nice close somewhat aggressive shave. More aggressive to me then the 1912...but not a lot.

These things are laying around all over the place for little money. I would recommend that you SE guys get one. Rework a Blade for it and run it around the block. It might not replace the Gem's but it is a very very nice shaver non the less.

Fuzy

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It is an excellent razor, but not for a beginner, because it is a very aggressive razor. I cut myself badly with it recently, and I was using a Sharp, which is a very mild blade.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I could not figure how to put a DE blade into this one.,maybe you have a different model.. but the modified AS Blade is really not much more aggressive then my 1910 Gem Jr. I loved the shave,

Fuzzy

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Woops--I made a big boo-boo. :ashamed001 I used a Super-Max blade with my Valet, and that's what did the damage to me. I had a few very enjoyable and comfortable shaves with my Valet, but one morning I got too brave I guess, and loaded it with a powerful blade like the Super-Max, and I made carnage from my face.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ahh that is how we learn here.... that is part of the fun I think..

Fuzzy