First Vintage... Need some info plz

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Linc, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Linc

Linc Member

Can anyone tell me about this vintage Gillette Flare Tip A-1 I just bought off eBay? I got it for $11.50 including shipping. Did I get a good deal? Any info would be awesome. Also, I don't plan on using it, I thought it looked cool and it was pretty cheap. Thx again! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Adonis, PatrickA51 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Great deal on a great razor.
    Why won't you use it? Just curious.

PatrickA51 and Linc like this.
  3. Linc

Linc Member

It looks like it has some rust on the inside which is kinda concerning. Plus I'm planning on buying a new Edwin Jagger as my daily use razor. I do, however, plan on cleaning it up as much as possible.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. swarden43

For some great info, click on the sticky at the top of this forum then click on the Super Speed links.

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

good deal. nice razor, I use mine and love it

6. Linc

Linc Member

Sweet. Thx guys. I snatched it up with 5 seconds left for 8.50 plus the 3.00 shipping.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

They are made of brass so they can't rust. You are either seeing brass showing where the finish is worn away, or some rust left behind from a blade that may have set in it for years, which can be easily removed.

A1 means it was produce in the first quarter of 1955.

It would be a real shame to only display it and not put it to use.

SRNewb, Slow Joe, Bristle Me and 4 others like this.
  8. Linc

Linc Member

I will probably rethink that then. Thx for the info. I appreciate it.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

the handle shape really helped me take my technique up a notch.
    it changed the way I hold all my other razors.

Slow Joe likes this.
  10. Linc

Linc Member

Nice. I'm feeling better and better about this impulse buy. Haha.

11. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Great deal on a great razor- should clean up very nice. I have a 48-50 and use it several times a week. Coupled with a sharp blade one of the best razors out there. Definitely use it and enjoy!

12. Linc

Linc Member

Thanks @geeeyejo. What blade do you recommend?

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Agreed. Good deal, great razor. Should clean up great and you should give it a run.

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Good score, good price and it will clean up nicely. You definately should shave with it. It might change how you feel about an EJ 3 piece. I started with TTO's Feather Popular, Gillette SuperSpeeds, Aristocrats and Adjustables.. My favorite TTO was the 40's-50's Aritstocrat, although I enjoyed them all, but my first 3 piece turned my head..:) You can never tell until you give it a try..

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    Slow Joe likes this.
  15. Linc

Linc Member

Nice. Good to know. I've watched a couple vids on how to clean it up and whatnot. I'm definitely looking forward to receiving it.

16. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Very, very good deal. You're now in charge of all my razor purchases. I tend to pay too much.

Slow Joe likes this.
  17. Linc

Linc Member

Hahaha. I figured I wasn't going to be too upset at spending under $15 for this razor. Either I spent $11 on an awesome deal (which it's starting to sound like) or I spent $11 on a cool vintage gillette. It was a win win in my mind.

18. swarden43

Never let others tell you what blade to use, let your face tell you. Get a sample pack and experiment. Blades are the most YMMV item in shaving.

19. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    OR... you could refer to >this< very unscientific compilation of self-reported TSDers' blades faves. It ain't science, but I betcha that it is a fairly safe list to work through in search of your personal favorites. :D

(Some sampler packs contain a few duds that are favored by few... but you never know! One of the "duds" could be your favorite. That's the whole agony and ecstasy of this stupid hobby! You never know until you know, you know? So blades become like Pokemon - gotta try 'em all. <sigh>)

Slow Joe likes this.
  20. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

To me it looks like that's just residue from old shaving soap or maybe glue spots from a blade. I think that'll clean up nicely and you should definitely give it a spin. That SuperSpeed could be the only razor you really ever need. Just remember that at first, most of the problems you have are because of your technique and that'll get better as you get used to the razor.

BigMark likes this.