Tutorial Fix Your '48 - '50 SS TTO Knob (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by stingraysrock, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Me, too.
    Thanks for the info.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Should be fixed now.

TarheelFXR likes this.
  3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Me too.

4. TarheelFXR

TarheelFXR Member

Thank you very much.

5. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Looks like my 1958 D1 flair tip has this problem too
    [​IMG]

6. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

Thanks for posting this... just bought a SS that has this exact issue and the seller did not note this problem to me. Was going to get rid of this one and buy another, in correct operating condition. You saved me from making another mistake! Excellent!!!

7. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Those are some interesting fix's. Thanks for a very detailed description and great photo's.

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I've read the label on that & it's full of safety warnings that suggest it is somewhat corrosive (which Is why I chose to buy a different product) so I am inclined to advise against using it on metal.

9. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

Great info

10. flintlock

flintlock Member

I here ya, Hey great info here. Thanks

Anthony

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think Kaboom! is just rebranded Scrubbing Bubbles with oxyclean added. A couple months before Kaboom! came out, the Scrubbing Bubbles with the blue foam indicator disappeared from store shelves.

12. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I would not use Kaboom. Different company than Scrubbing Bubbles and it has bleach. It's used in bathrooms for mold and mildew.

13. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Interesting thread. About 2 years ago I bought a 1936 Gillette Aristocrat in an antique store for $8. It was a good attractive razor except it had the dropped knob problem. I closed the razor's doors and pushed the dropped knob up to the normal position, wrapped a thick towel around the handle , and crimped the handle with a pair of vice grip pliers slightly above where the handle would drop. I rotated the handle and squeezed hard in different positions maybe 4 or 5 times. It was fixed. No scratches. Nothing bent. Doors open and close completely and smoothly. Maybe I was lucky but my simplified method worked.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    lindyhopper66 likes this.
  14. Brad Lehmann

Brad Lehmann New Member

It certainly wouldn't hurt to use a little oil if you use the wire method. I thought of using my tubing cutter before seeing this thread. It was a bargain bin cheap tool so no great loss. I'll replace it with a quality tool. Remember, brass is pretty soft, so it doesn't take much pressure to reestablish the interior shoulder that keeps the knob from dropping. I put very little pressure on the adjustment knob of the tubing cutter. I felt the roller bottom out in the groove then turned the adjustment knob just a couple of degrees more. One turn of the tool, tested, and decided that was all the remediation needed.