Flic Restore

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Spyder, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Well not a total restoration, but I knowingly bought this one with cracked scales at the hinge.

IMG_0534.JPG IMG_0535.JPG

Hinges were a real pain to remove. No wonder they were bent :angry032:. Good thing I didn't want to save them.
    IMG_0537.JPG

Blade removed and shined up. This is actuality cheating:). The blade was the reason I stole, er bought this razor.

IMG_0539.JPG IMG_0540.JPG

This took awhile. Deciding on the scale design. Any comments/ thoughts here!

IMG_0541.JPG IMG_0542.JPG

Padauk on the top, olive wood on the bottom. I'll have to re-saw the olive wood on the band saw. Undecided what to use. Whatever I use, I'll have a set of new shoes available for the next project :D

IMG_0543.JPG

I have all the tools and hardware. Now all I need are the skills and experience :confused:. Any ideas, tips and encouragement appreciated;) the

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Go for it.

Kizurra, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  3. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I think that you can do it.
    Just go slow and think things through... Expect a mistake or two along the way but keep after it... You will get it done.

4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

The wood has been selected, and glued together to begin the process. I went with the padauk. I thought the red tones would be a little different. I also had to make another hour round trip cuz I forgot to get something for the wedge. I found a nice piece of ebony that would give a nice contrast.

IMG_0555.JPG
    The scales have been cut. I also re-sawed the olive wood for another set and sawed several slices off the ebony for wedges.

IMG_0556.JPG

Sanding and some more sanding and a little more sanding:). The grain is really starting to pop.

IMG_0557.JPG

The scales are drilled and the wedge fitted and glued into position. Now I have to decide on the finish. I've worked in the furniture industry when I was a youngster. I have a fair amount of expierience wit poly. With half dozen coats, I can rub it out to 2k and polish for that glassy look. I'm tempted to try the super glue finish but have never monkeyed around with that. :signs002:
    IMG_0558.JPG

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

It's looking really good! I can't wait to see the finished product.
    :happy088:

6. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Looks great. I really like the color and grain of the wood.

7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

After some investigation, due to the durability; I decided on a CA finish. I've been laying down coats and rough sanding every third coat. I'm about to call it a night and come back tomorrow. I still need to pick up a couple grits of sandpaper yet. Geez, I really hope this turns out.

IMG_0561.JPG

10. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Coming out really well and good choice on the ca finish. Can't wait to see it finished. Woodcraft sells a nice sanding file set that's just like a nail file, is what I use and works quite well.
    :signs154:

Jim99, twhite, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks for that tip:) I've been studying and following a thread on the SRP that Glen aka @gssixgun posted there back in 2011. So if this fails; I'm gonna blame him ;)

Keithmax, mrchick, Kizurra and 4 others like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Below the final sanding is completed. 32o,400, 600 wet and 1500 wet. The finish is very level with no shiny spots. They feel smooth as glass, but clearly a satin finish. We'll just so happens that I have Turtle Wax polishing compound. We'll know the outcome directly......

IMG_0566.JPG

Two applications of the polishing compound, a little buffing and voila!! Deep glassy finish! Amazing. The pictures look pretty good, but really pop in person!
    Next up is the final assembly. Here's hoping for the best:)

IMG_0567.JPG IMG_0568.JPG

13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Spyder, that's fantastic work! Really nice!

Billyfergie, Kizurra and Spyder like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

It's all pinned and everything is nice and tight. I still need to do a little detailing to get all the books and crannies cleaned out. I'm actually pretty happy with the way it turned out. I'll probably be honing in the next day or so, before taking for a test drive. Thanks for the encouragement and putting up with me on this project:)

IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0575.JPG IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0577.JPG

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You did some very nice work. :happy096:

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Awesome work!

:happy096:

Billyfergie, Kizurra and Spyder like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

They came out awesome. Very nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jim99, Billyfergie, Kizurra and 2 others like this.
  18. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Came out gorgeous.

Spyder, Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs