Folding@Home

Discussion in 'Articles' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 29, 2012.

1. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

I think I joined. Something has been running for 5 minutes but is still at zero percent

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's a fairly slow process. expect a job to take anywhere from a day to two weeks. Welcome to the team.:bounce015:

3. vinthechin12

vinthechin12 Active Member

yaaaaaaaaaa. 2.7 percent

JRod22 likes this.
  4. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

I just loaded FAH and have a process running as well.

ETA: 4.6% 1.26 day project. 8k points. I should be on the team page in a couple days.

PLANofMAN and JRod22 like this.
  5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I used to use something similar for shared computing once upon a time. Then that computer had issues (not related) and I never got back into this. Installed and joining the team as quick as my internet will allow.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. drewcandraw

drewcandraw Member

ok finally installed it at home...but project is about 7 days so ill check again

PLANofMAN likes this.
  7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I think I have a project done. It is on a different project number, but it also shows a communication error so I wonder if the completed project didn't upload

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You can check by visiting the team homepage (see original post) but I'll save you the trouble...welcome to the team!

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    By the way, clicking on your name in the original post will take you directly to your personal page.

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yup, however, at the time I posted I hadn't shown up as completing a unit or on the team page. So, can I just shut my computer down for the night or do I have to pause the program first?

11. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

F@H should shutdown when your computer terminates all programs for the system shut down.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    This. You may lose up to 15 minutes of work progress, but that will be the only penalty for shuting down.

13. Zack Paps

Zack Paps New Member

Alrighty I'm in... I guess...
    Doing it even though it makes 0 sense to me.
    But I MUST HELP TSD

14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    lol. If you really want to help TSD, buy shave products from the TSD store or donate to TSD. This is just a fun side thing that many forums do to help try to find cures for diseases like cancer, Huntington's and Alzheimer's.

15. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Our team is growing and we're moving up in the team rankings. We're now
    1844 of 218060 (that's in the top 1%)

PLANofMAN and JRod22 like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Nice. Last time I checked we were 49285 of 217086. I also updated our team list in the first post.

17. Star

Star Active Member

I'm in! :)

PLANofMAN and Luteplayers like this.
  18. jquarter06

jquarter06 Member

Can anyone guesstimate how much a 700 watt power supply would cost to run per month? I know it will vary based on each area's $/Kilowatt Hour, but anyone notice a spike in their electric bill from running folding @ home?

I have a feeling running my PC 24/7 would cause my bill to spike :whacky011:

19. Erik Redd

The 700 watt power supply isn't continuously drawing 700 watts, it's sized for peaks. I typically pay about 11 cents a kilowatt hour, so if I asume my system is drawing 200 watts, that would be 4.8 kW hours in a 24 hour day, or about 50 cents a day. I leave my computer on because I think the thermal cycling is worse than letting it run, but YMMV.

20. Erik Redd