Folding@Home

Discussion in 'Articles' started by PLANofMAN, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

3. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Interesting I guess I will do some research on this. I might end up joining. :happy088:

4. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

My desktop is chugging along. Nearing 1,000,000 myself.

5. Luteplayers

Luteplayers Well-Known Member

Whoo Hoo, Joined the Millionaires Club. Our Team is ranked 1434 of 220162, in the top 1%.
    @PLANofMAN; CharlieChan is in the 1M club as well.

[​IMG]

markjnewcomb likes this.
  6. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I joined. The program jugs along sweetly with no issues.

BTW: You can get the stats for everyone here.

7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I'm in. (at least I think I am)
    Their seems to be a process called FahCore using about 50% of my processor time showing in the task manager. :)

Update:
    Yes, I must have gotten the package downloaded and installed properly.
    I can access the control page and look at the stats just fine.
    I hope to finish my first task on or before 06:00 tomorrow!

This machine has a nice processor, custom copper heat sink and fan on the CPU,
    and plenty of memory. It's about time I put it to work doing something worthwhile. :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  8. markjnewcomb

I've been running folding on my computer for a while and it doesn't interfere with my computer at all. I don't even miss the cpu cycles.

Can you explain to me what folding is? Everywhere I look on the Stanford web site seems to say "we are folding" as if that in in itself explained what "folding" is. I understand we are working with long molecular structures, protein chains, etc. But what I don't understand is the word "folding". Are we taking this long strip of protein and through the computer simulating a physically folding over the protein chain like we do to a napkin? What does the folding part actually do and why is it important?

9. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

I just joined up.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    OK, I'm in now. A little late, but hey! Thanks.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Sorry for the late reply.
    The simple version is protein chains fold into a specific three dimensional shape when they interact with various amino acids. Wikipedia has a more complete answer here:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_folding

12. markjnewcomb

Thanks. I ended up getting a high school biology teacher to explain it to me like I was a three year old. It only took her 6 tries before I understood the concept. :)

I'm still chugging along with FAH. It never bothers my computer & I figure I might just help some people a little.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Oh, good. That wikipedia description started going over my head about two paragraphs in. My short answer above was about as much as I could grasp before my brain started hurting.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  14. markjnewcomb

Yeah, I know. Take a look at this first paragraph. There were only 10 things I didn't understand.

Protein folding is the process by which a protein structure assumes its functional shape or conformation. It is the physical process by which a polypeptide folds into its characteristic and functional three-dimensional structure from random coil.[1] Each protein exists as an unfolded polypeptide or random coil when translated from a sequence of mRNA to a linear chain of amino acids. This polypeptide lacks any stable (long-lasting) three-dimensional structure (the left hand side of the first figure). Amino acids interact with each other to produce a well-defined three-dimensional structure, the folded protein (the right hand side of the figure), known as the native state. The resulting three-dimensional structure is determined by the amino acid sequence (Anfinsen's dogma).[2]Experiments [3]beginning in the 1980s indicate the codon for an amino acid can also influence protein structure.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Is this project still going ?

16. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  17. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I will join again later today...I wonder if it makes a difference.

PLANofMAN and markjnewcomb like this.
  18. markjnewcomb

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I'm in. Signed up, used the team number and it is running in background!

Robyflexx, PLANofMAN and markjnewcomb like this.
  20. markjnewcomb

You will never notice it is there.

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.