For those that use both Fatboy and Slim?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bowler Mike, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

I just recently won a Fatboy on Ebay and have three shaves so far. I have used the same settings and blade as my Slim, on 6 with a Voskhod. I found the shave to be a lot smoother. I get great shaves from my Slim but I usually get a little Alum feed back most times. With this Fatboy I'm getting zero alum feed back. I tried silver blue blade and went to 7 definitely felt more aggressive same great result.

When comparing these two razors the blade gap looks a little smaller on the Fatboy than the Slim on the same numbers. Is this normal when comparing these two?
    I was wondering if others have a similar experience with these two razors and how they shave?

Thanks

2. Paulthebaker

Paulthebaker Active Member

It's funny that you bring this topic up right now. I have been shaving with a aristocrat slim for about three months now and love it. I acquired a fat boy this weekend, 10 bucks! After some cleaning I've had three shaves with it and Love it. My slim did not get along well with the lab blue blades. But I find I can go to a higher number on the fat boy with the lab blue's and get a smoother one pass shave. It is a little shorter, but it just feels nice in my hand. I actually got another slim this weekend but may trade it off.

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I didn't compare the blade gap between the two, but once I got the FB down, I got better shaves with it than the Slim. I ended up selling the Slim as I figured I wouldn't use it as much.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've had several BBS, never fail to geat at least a darn fine shave, from both the Fatboy and Slim on 6 loaded with an Astra SP.

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I can't tell much difference.

IDuck likes this.
  6. swarden43

Same here.

IDuck likes this.
  7. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

pretty much agree...however, the handles/weight do make for a different shave...I like all 3 of mine (FB,BB, and slim), and all give great shaves.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I had a Slim that came with my Fatboy, lo, these many years ago. I didn't care for the way the Slim shaved, compared to the Fatboy, so I pif'd it.

I got somewhat nostalgic a few weeks ago and purchased another Slim, which has been getting a lot of use, and shaves just as good as the Fatboy.

Based on this, I would say that different batches of razors can give you different shaves. It depends on who was making the razor you own on that particular Monday morning.

It could also be a refinement in my technique over the years. Who knows?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Don't know why but I prefer the fat boy. It just "feels" better. My slim sits in the closet, waiting.

10. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I love my FB but I think I like the Slim better

11. swarden43

In the hand or on the face? I know I kinda prefer the heft of the Fatboy in my hand.

The RAZOR, you guys!! THE RAZOR!!! :happy102:

12. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I use both the Fatboy and Slim on setting 3 with a variety of blades (Baili, Ladas, Feather, Astra SP) and can tell no difference except that the Fatboy is a little heftier.

13. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I found that by and large the gap on a FB is slightly smaller than a slim on the same setting. BUT my FB was way way open. It required significant tuning to close it down to the point it would shave like a slim.

I like them both, I use them both but I set my slim on 3 and the FB on 5 to get the same shave.

14. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'm glad I can always count on you to ask the good questions. Took me a minute to get up to your speed. First, I like the size of the FB in my hand. Although it's not that heavy, it's just fits better with my long fingers. I also appreciate the way it feels on my face, I seem to be able to "steer" it around easier.

ObiDon likes this.
  15. Bowler Mike

Bowler Mike Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys. This might be my new favorite. I like the heaver feel and the thicker shorter handle. The Fatboy rivals my Gillette Sheraton as far as smooth shaver.

16. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Both are outstanding razors!

I have a slight preference for the Slim, to state it numerically maybe by a ratio of 52/48.

The handle of the Slim feels a little better in my subjective hand, and the head is slightly easier to get under the nose.

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I prefer the taller silo on the FB and the heft......I like the fact the Slim had a prominant presence in Goldfinger, kind of stole the whole show....}8^))
    But If I was going to shave with one today.....I'm afraid I have to give this one to the FB.

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There is not much difference, to me, as to how they shave.
    I do prefer the Slim to the Fatboy though but that's mostly due to the longer handle.

19. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I use the FB, Slim and long BB metal head and also the Weber PH. Using the same soap and blade, I found that there are days when for instance the FB shaves better than the Slim and other days the Slim shaves better than the FB same setting @7, the same with the BB. Shave about the same time every morning using the same method and technique for each razor. The only other change than I noticed was the weather conditions, days of dry or damp weather may have been a factor or even weather or not I had the AC or heat on at night. Possibly even change in diet. I've have tried using one razor for a week, changing the blade daily, that I have a need for more or less touch up and even a second pass. Did you ever try a new brand of blade for a few days, and it gave you a poor shave , put them in a draw, then a few months later try them again and got a fantastic shave? I think it's the same with razors. So I don't think I can say that my Slim shaves better than my FB or BB. Think I'll keep them all:).

20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think that inspiration means a bunch. if I get jazzed up about using a particular razor, it normally performs pretty well. so I like theme weeks and dedicated days where a bunch of us are using the same things. it's fun to compare notes about results.
    so I think a lot of it is in my head.

Herm2502 likes this.