For those who've tried the Ranger Tech and '40s-'50s S.S.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, May 30, 2012.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've seen it claimed that the late '40s-early '50s era of production was the peak of Gillette's engineering. I'm not arguing the claim or saying it isn't a valid opinion. But that isn't what this thread is about.

For those who have tried both that first era of Super Speed and the prototypical TTO, the Ranger Tech: Did you notice any meaningful differences or advantages to either? Thanks for any input.

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Just got and tried what I now think is a British rocket..a Superspeed sort of shaver from that era. The razor has quite the attitude and I got a pretty close shave but with some irritation. The short reedy handle will probably keep me away from this one. I could see though that it is very well built and could be perfect if you have small hands and a tough beard...

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Ranger Tech to me was the best of the bunch because it used the older style handle and had a little better balance overall.
    1947 - 1952 SS were next because they are almost bulletproof.
    1952 - 1960s SS have some variations. The Red Tip is the most solid feeling of the four types and the most aggressive.

Now the British Rockets of the time beat the Super Speeds hands down for fit and finish as well as aggressiveness.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ya.. the fit and finish are amazing...

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thanks, gents.

The closest I ever came to a Rocket was a Parat, when I first started DE. I do recall it seemed well put together, in contrast to the garden variety S.S. I'd frequently come across.

Using the '50s S.S. I picked up today, I couldn't help but marvel how much more indefinably substantial the Ranger feels in comparison. Can't say enough good about that shaver...after five years of DE, if there can be only one it'll probably be that. Barring me finding a shiny President laying on the sidewalk. anyway. And even then, the Prez is all about looks. I already know how it shaves...good, but not quite as good. :)