For those with a bazillion razors...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Phaedris, Feb 20, 2012.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have a Knack coming in the mail today. I was wondering if anyone had tried one and what their experience is, with it, Fishcrow.

Slivovitz, I am a Newbie for almost 2 months and have been buying lots of vintage Gillettes and some new Merkur and EJ. I see some DE shavers mentioning the SE shaving. Is there a particular brand/model SE razor to try and do the injector blades brand make a difference and is the shave better than or easier and safer than with a DE?

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am down to three razors that I use on a regular basis. I also have a back-up of each razor.

They aren't making OCMM, Barbasol, or Old Type razors any more so when I found deals on razors in nice shape, I grabbed them. I could get away with any of the three, but it is nice to be able to switch things up a little bit to keep things interesting.

3. Rob72

Rob72 Member

:) The Gem 1912 is pretty much "The Standard" SE to have a go with. It may be branded Gem, Star, or Ever Ready. If you go seriously classic SE, the Kampfe Bros. were the originating company, and those sets may take either a wedge blade, or (in many cases) the modern SE.

The Valet with the slide-in blade holder (don't remember the model) will take a modified Gem SE blade, and provide a great shave. Valets with the punch-pins in the top cover require vintage Valet blades, or modern Feathers.

Wilkinson Sword Empires, Henckels Rapides, and Wester Bros. are all wedge-blade razors that (generally) will accept modern SEs. Little pricier (average $50-85+, depending on model & condition), but very cool. You can get some good deals on fleabay, if you watch.

To the OP: I use about 2 different razors per week, as the fancy strikes me. I like my adjustables, since they cut more like the SEs, and, of course, my dedicated SEs, but I have a modest handful of unusual/very clean TTOs found in the "wild".

4. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

i bought antique store finds and flea market trash over the years but my fave is probably the fat boy or the red-tip..........or is it the bostonian i found in my father's tool box that i replated with rhodium? it might be the aristicrat that i want to replate?. not sure now i like them all...............

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I tried to give some idea of what to look for with an SE in this article. Like Rob72, I'd suggest some version of the Gem 1912, but it's not the only choice. Better than a DE? For me yes, but no guarantees. Easier? Blade angle is radically different; allowing for different technique I don't know that you can say one is definitely easier than the other. Safer? Probably not, but not less safe. With both SE and DE razors there are models that are very easy to use, and others that call for extra care.

Injectors are a different topic and I'm working on another article, but for me the shave is better and easier with my favorite injectors than with a DE. Most razors are safe enough if you learn how to use them.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. vegasvics

vegasvics Well-Known Member

I've got 10 DE's (6 new, 4 vintage) and 1 SE. No Str8s (yet). I tend to stick with one razor for a week or so and then switch. Of the 11 razors, there are 4 that I find myself using.

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

+1. I've just started using injectors, but I agree that they are easy to use. Injectors and SEs take care of the head angle for the shaver making it one less thing to think about. That's the way it seems to me anyway.

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Off topic but each time I read the thread title, I see it as "For those with Brazilian razors."

9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

:happy102: That's funny. To me, when I glance at it, it says "Bazooka Razors".

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have less than a bazillion but still more than I care to admit. Do they all get regular use, no. But I go with whatever fancies me when I change blade. What gets the most use is an L6, A Weber, a Goodfella, a Fatip, and R41, an EJ89, a tech, a new, a G-bar (SE), and a gem lather catcher (SE).

11. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

I currently have 10, 3 of which are going to be sold soon. The other 7 get rotated weekly.

12. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Had a friend stay over back in September and he said "never seen that many razors in a bathroom before" and that was back in September.I think it's part of this hobby too try different razor and blade combos.If I see a razor at a Antique market or flea market and don't have it ,I'll pick it up if not overpriced just too try.There are my modern razors and of course the ones from the bay.
    Not at a Bazillion yet but working on it ;)

13. Mr. Flay

Mr. Flay New Member

I have just shy of a bazillion. All vintage. I don't need most of them but I enjoy them all. Most are cased. I actively hoard Auto Strops and Micromatics. I have DE's but I almost never shave with them anymore. I'll probably sell them off at some point (but don't hold your breath). My actual shaving rotation has been distilled down to a couple of different VAS models, a Streamline, a Clog-Pruf, and an HFT. I break out an injector, an OCMM or other ASR variation, or my Rolls once in a while. It's all SE nowadays.

14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Me too!

15. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I have 4 in the stable right now, and use them all on random rotations. Though I think by this time next month I'm going to end up having only 2, and those will be vintage. I like the modern decently enough but something about shaving with a 40+ year old razor that has a history and still works flawlessly really has me. I don't like the idea of just keeping them around for the heck of it, so if they are display pieces I have no use for them personally.

16. AwNix

AwNix Member

I use ALL my razors. Some people collect or display or even by other Gillette associated junk but that's not me. All razors are different. I try and buy one version of the different types if I can. Like one SuperSpeed, One Red Tip, One Fat Boy. I have some multiples of razors but that's only because the deal was too good to pass up or they came w/ another razor I was buying. Some razors also just look beautiful which would make them worth buying again: Aristocrat.

Anyone can start a collection. Just don't pay big money for one razor and you'll end up with quite a few. :happy036:

17. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

That's all well for you if it works for you but don't down others who collect. Calling people's collections "junk" isn't going to make you many friends, especially on a shaving forum.

18. Blobster

Blobster Member

Have got 11 vintage razors, 7 SEs and 4 DEs. All in rotation. Could happily live with any one of them but my favorite (by far) DE is a bakelite 7O'Clock and the favorite SE would have to be the Bullet tip.

19. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I have, I think, 42. I have shaved with all but 5-6 of them. I have 6 in regular rotation. Only new razors I own are a Edwin Jager, a Weishi purchased as a first razor for my son, and a Lord L6, and I haven't used the EJ in about 3 months... I use one until that blade is done - usually 3 days for an Israeli Personna, or 4 days for a Personna Lab - then it's on to another razor. Which reminds me - what am I going to use in the morning??? :rolleyes:

20. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Have currently a total of 7, of which 2 are being revamped and 1 was delivered today. Of the 7, 5 are vintage. Usually I use them in a weekly or bi-weekly rotation (right now it's the Red Tip's turn) at home. I have also a long term resident razor at my Gym Den, which is the British Rocket. While they are in use, all others are cleaned and awaiting their turn nicely & comfortably tucked away in a cozy box.