Found 2 Old Straights... debating purchase

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Stu929, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

So I found 2 older straights today. As usual these will be projects.. (I really need to learn to hone!!!) But from the brands I know they are older. No chips or cracks but both have rust near the edge so I wanted to put it out to the group.

First is Hawcroft and Pearsons Razor Warranted Sheffield.

The second is The Improved Eagle Razor from Imperial Warranted Germany. 7 bucks each.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  3. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I want to! The cost of stones is keeping me away. Infantry and I will learn eventually but getting the hones is the hard part. Im purging a handful of things Im not using but its hard for me to pass up old steel! Esp when it can be a project I dont stress about screwing up on.

Billyfergie, Spyder and RyX like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, the cost of stones is holding me back too. I have a few straights that I am cleaning up, but it may be a while before I can get to the stones.

Billyfergie, Spyder and RyX like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool! Go for it!!

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Practice razors. Not much if anything to be gained on potential resale value.
    Black rusted blades with chipped and broken scales.
    I'd offer $10 for the pair...max.

Keithmax, Billyfergie, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried evaporust?

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yes on both, if they are under $15 each.

As for stones, do like I did. Get a 1k bevel setter, a 3k synthetic chinese, Welsh Slate Stones, and an Arkansas Surgical Black. Done, and not too expensive.

9. DaltonGang

I've tried Evaporust. Not a fan. I've had better success with wet/dry sandpaper and elbow grease.

10. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

7 a piece.

Spyder likes this.
  11. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

How much would all of those add up to?

12. DaltonGang

King 1000 grit. ~$15
    Chinese 3k/8k combo waterstone. $20
    Welsh Slate Stones 8k 12k 15k. Around $100 delivered. Give or take
    Arkansas Surgical Black. $29-$70. Depends on the maker. Get a Dan's. It's more expensive, but will save hours of lapping time.

Billyfergie, Stu929 and Spyder like this.
  13. DaltonGang

There are better bevel setter, that cut faster, but they are much more expensive.

Billyfergie, Stu929 and Spyder like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Or.,.get a Norton combination 4/8k. Yes you can set a bevel on the 4 k. Yes you can shave off the 8 k. Or.... get lapping film. For less than $20 you can get a whole set that will get you up and running do quite a while.

Billyfergie, DaltonGang and Stu929 like this.
  15. DaltonGang

You are correct. But, setting a bevel from scratch, might take a while with a 4k. Also, I never got the hang of lapping film. I know several members regularly use lapping film(@Billyfergie ).

Spyder, Billyfergie and Stu929 like this.
  16. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

15 Micron Diamond Lapping Film Can Cut a Bevel Faster than a Naniwa Chosera 1 K Bevel Stone..BUT..For Old Heavy Grinds & Razors with a Lot of Hone Wear it Wears Like Buggery..So..I Would Recommend a Naniwa Chosera 1 K for Bevel Setting..;)

Also..Whilst One Can Shave from an 8 K Stone..It Falls Way Short..I Wouldn't Finish on Anything Less than a 12 K Finishing Stone..Personally Speaking..3 Micron Chro/Ox Lapping Film = 12 K or 1 Micron = 16 is are Excellent Finishing Hones..The Higher Grit Film Last for Yonks & Yonks..:)

Billy..:chores016:

PickledNorthern and DaltonGang like this.
  17. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

In other words, in my case at least....... Pay someone else to hone them.

Billyfergie likes this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That's the Best Bet..To Me there is a Natural Progression in SR Shaving..Get a Shave Ready SR & Strop or Get them Honed by a Skilled Person..2nd..Learn to Shave & Strop a Razor..3rd..Learn to Maintain a Sharp Blade Using Pastes & then a Finishing Stone to Refresh an Edge as Required..;)

Now..That's All You Need..There is Actually No Need to Get Into Honing SRs from Scratch..That Will Come Later if its You're Cup of Tea..The Above Set Up Can Maintain a Razor for Years..Forum Folks with All the Best Intentions Can Urge New Folks to Get Into Honing Razors Far Too Quickly & this Can More Often than Not Muddy the Water..I Have a Regular Customer Base that Send me their Razors for Refreshing on the Hone..They are Happy with Hassle Free SR Shaving & they are Delighted with that..:happy088:

Horses for Courses..:kngt:

Billy..:chores016: