Found my grandpa's box of razors. Help identify them please? (p

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jquarter06, Aug 26, 2013.

1. jquarter06

jquarter06 Member

Hello all! As the title says, I came across my grandpa's box of razors. The box he kept them in was labeled with 1971 as the date on it. My grandpa had a thing for writing his name and date on things.

Help me identify them if you can please.

Thanks! 20130824_172235 - Copy.jpg 20130824_172244 - Copy.jpg 20130824_172250 - Copy.jpg 20130824_172256 - Copy.jpg 20130824_172306 - Copy.jpg

2. immobileman

immobileman Member

Nice find!

3. Hrolfr

Hrolfr Member

AWESOME!!! I think that finding and using stuff prior generations of your family had and used is about the coolest thing ever. I love ventage cuff links my fav. are a pair my dad gave me and still trying to get my hands on my great grandfather's fedora. My Aunt has it in a box somewhere at her house.... I would wear it proudly!

4. jquarter06

jquarter06 Member

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. They're all in pretty good shape as well, none of them are tarnished terribly or rusted. My main razor is a Merkur 180 long handle, so the smaller razors here feel odd in my hand, but I will definitely give each of them a try.

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Awesome finds!

1 & 3 are Gillette Techs (#3 might be British)
    2 is black handled SuperSpeed (also a Gillette)
    4 is a Schick Krona

battle.munky and otherstar like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool!
    For the Gillettes, look under the head of the razor. There should be a letter in the top left and a number in the top right. This is the date code for the date/quarter the razor was made.

D = 1958
    E = 1959
    F = 1960
    G = 1961
    etc.

1 = 1st Quarter Jan-Mar
    2 = 2nd Quarter Apr-Jun
    etc.

So H2 would mean the razor was made in the second quarter of 1962.

7. jquarter06

jquarter06 Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Swarden,

I'll check that out tonight when I get home and reply back with the dates. That would be interesting to find out!

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Gillette Ball End Tech #3 I've only seen on ebay listed as made in UK and/or sold sometimes in Canada and South America..It may have an aluminum handle..:) GREAT SCORE!! :happy088:

9. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Very nice indeed!!

10. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Very nice collection. Enjoy!

11. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

NICE! I especially like #3.

12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Great find!