Fred's brand DE blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BamaT, Apr 9, 2015.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Close to 2 years ago, I looked at blades in a Fred's store, and although it had their name on them, the container said made in USA, so I was certain they were Personna blades, and they performed well, very much like the blue labs I have.

A few months,back, I really didn't need any blades, but picked up a pack anyway. After I got home, I noticed they no longer specified made in USA, and they performed terribly. There was no mention of country of origin. I was barely able to get 1 or 2 shaves from a blade.

A couple of days ago I was in my local Fred's, and decided to look at their blades again. The package now says made in Israel. Does anyone know if this is the same as the Israeli Red Personna, or have any experience with these Israeli blades from Fred's?

Thanks!

2. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

i have those exact same ones, i was told that they are the Israeli Personna's....however, i have never used the Israeli Red's so i have no idea.

3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

There are several different brands of blades made at the Personna plant in Israel. In addition to generic and store branded contracts, they also produce Eddison, Crystal, Viking Seord the "Red" and others. I've used most of them and they're all at least adequate with a few stellar (IMO).
    There's no telling which variety was packaged for Fred's.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

This Personna blade ID problem is a difficult one. I've tried another store's Israeli blades and they were decent. Not as good as Labs IMO. Maybe the same as Red IP's but it's been a while since I tried those so I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.

5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I finally got around to trying the Israeli Fred's brand in two different razors, my cheapie Remei I use for a travel razor, and an EJ 8911. For me, they have provided very smooth shaves, maybe not quite as sharp as some, but very smooth. In the Remei, which is very mild, I've got 6 shaves with 2.5 passes with touch up. The EJ is on it's 3rd shave with no evidence of slowing down.

6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I use both, Personna Reds and Crystal . I find them to give me a comfortable shave in all my razors, the Reds seem to be a bit sharper.