FREE CREAM - The Shave Cream Challenge

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Vlasta, May 24, 2017.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Jims must be included as well. I haven't received mine either. :)

Spyder, Vlasta and Jim99 like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

After we’re all done, it will be interesting to know what they are. I’m sure we’ll be surprised when we hear the brands and we look at our results.

I used sample C this morning and found this one to be the nicest so far. I use safety razors on weekdays, and I’m using my Gillette red tip all week.

Sample C
    Slickness: 7 (easier to rate when using a straight razor)
    Cushion: 7 (see slickness)
    Longevity: 8
    Ease of lathering: 10
    Fragrance: 8
    Longevity of fragrance: 9
    Post shave feel: 8

I like the fragrance of this cream. The scent is a mint, spearmint perhaps. I can still smell it 30 minutes after the shave. Very pleasant. I used one of my boar brushes and this cream lathered up with ease. The lather remained strong throughout the shave. It was plenty slick for a DE shave and left a nice soft feel to my face. This is a cream that would likely be a staple in my den.

Vlasta, Linuxguile and Spyder like this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That must be only certain Jims.
    :p

Norcalnewb, Spyder and Vlasta like this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor

All the packages were mailed on the same day - regular airmail, no tracking. So.... I can only assume some take longer than others.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Spyder, Norcalnewb and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

The way I use creams, I think each sample will last about 3 days. Shave 2 with sample A today. It worked well again.

My plan is to use each sample up before I move on to the next, unless that puts me hopelessly behind everyone else.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Its not a race - take your time!!.

Linuxguile, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I am filling out the spreadsheet each day. This will be interesting.

8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    It will - I am giving NO clues about what the soaps or creams are..... a true blind taste test

9. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I enjoy the blind test aspect of it. I get to rank them according to my experience with no preconceived notions. I figured out a way to open and fill out the survey, and have done A, B and C thus far. Without giving too much away I will say that none have been bad. All three are easily usable. Scent is purely subjective. A had the mildest scent but best performance of the three for me. B had the strongest scent of the three but I cannot decide how I feel about it. C had a medium strength scent that grew on me though the scent didn't linger long. Performance-wise it was my least favorite of the 3. It was not bad, just not as slick as A and, to a lesser extent, B.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Vlasta, Linuxguile, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  10. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    "with no preconceived notions" - exactly as I intended and I expect some results that no one imagined!

Jim99 and Spyder like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I agree with your views on the first three. Just no time to write it up right now. Thanks for saving me some time

Jim99, Vlasta, Spyder and 1 other person like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I plan on starting tonight. I was also thinking of using the same brush for the test, to insure some control over the test. I also considered weighing each sample, but that may be over the top. So I’ll try to keep the amount used visually in the same ball park. And because I typically don’t follow trends; I’m going to be working backwards through the list. I haven’t yet decided to use each sample until it’s gone or go through the list more than once. I also need to identify the brush. Man, it seems like I do nothing but force myself into making decisions :ashamed001:

13. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Ha ha - the contrarian wet-shaver!!! (BTW I think we are all contrarian.....)

Keithmax, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  14. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Guys - there is NO pressure to get this done quickly. Remember it took me 5 months to get my ass off the chair and send the creams/soaps. Lets take it easy and enjoy!!!

Keithmax, Troy M, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

WP_20171106_001.jpg
    Just got a mail call! I'll be doing a shave later today. Whoohooo!

Keithmax, Spyder, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  16. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Woo-hoo!!!

Jim99 and Spyder like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

“Contrarian”. I guess that would be a polite description of my personality :D
    But again, your correct; all wet shavers are. Especially us str8 shavers;)

18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

A swag tells me this is ~1/3 of a sample. This should be plenty for a three pass shave. This is about the amount I typically use for a cream.
    5E92BFA1-D10A-4C5F-8781-BA955163BDAC.jpeg

The brush used for all my testing will be my JR189. The synthetic knot doesn’t hold odors, which will help in separating the scents from one cream to the next.
    42285AF1-8996-4721-9F66-762BA0C893ED.jpeg

Keithmax, Screwtape, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  19. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Just got done with a three pass face shave with Sample A. Here's what I rated it.

Slickness: 6
    Cushion: 5
    Longevity: 10
    Ease of Lathering: 8
    Fragrance: 5
    Longevity of Fragrance: 5
    Post Shave Feel: 3
    Overall Score: 5

The fragrance was so mild I couldn't pick out anything but soap. Had my wife use her nose and she said the same thing, soap. It worked well but I did need an aftershave balm as my skin felt a little dry post shave. It's not bad. Couldn't put my finger on a name if I tried. Lol

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

My samples came in today. I will start in Wednesday as I also got in another order; I will give the Stirling Baker Street a shot, then it is on to sample shaves until I have gotten through all of them.

Keithmax, Jim99, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.