French Press Coffee

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Rusty blade, May 21, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I enjoy good coffee :). I like a strong cup of my Italian roast coffee dripped for breakfast. Mid-day I enjoy a cup of espresso (usually a double)...either at a coffee shop or home made on my stove top. Recently I have been experimenting with a French press coffee maker I found. I hit the bulls eye first time...made one outstanding cup...and have not been able to hit the bulls eye since.:angry019: I have tried various approaches and I can't seem to get a consistent cup of coffee with the French press.

Any suggestions are welcome...

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Make precise measurements with your water and coffee amounts, make accurate accounts of your steep times, take lots of notes so you can review.

DaltonGang, simms623 and Rusty blade like this.
  3. Rusty blade

Hmmmm...you are so right...precise measurements is the way to learn the ropes...and find the sweet spot with this process. I have been trying to make small changes and take mental notes of what seems to work and what doesn't. I was hoping someone has already found the precise measurements/time etc. and could spare me the effort...;)

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Wow, that is scientifically fantastic advice.

My experience, is over grind. Get close to a heaping mound per 6oz and wait about two three minutes. Stir and serve hot delicious coffee. I have not made a cup without a French press for 4 years.

Rusty blade likes this.
  5. swarden43

Problem is that their perfect recipe may not suit your taste. YMMV and all that. :eatdrink013:

Rusty blade likes this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I think what you meant, Steve, was: "The problem is that you don't roast your own beans and grind them." :p

7. swarden43

Nice!

Rusty blade and richgem like this.
  8. richgem

Experimentation is your best bet... try more/less coffee and then more/less brewing time. Also, a pinch of sea salt does wonders.
    You might also want to bloom the coffee instead of stirring it in the hot water (pour not quite half of the water over the grounds -- let the pouring water mix the coffee --, let the ground coffee soak it up and expand, then pour the rest of the water). Then add the plunger and let it brew for around 4 minutes.

gorgo2, Erik Redd and Rusty blade like this.
  9. swarden43

There's that word again. :happy097:

whiteboy_cannon and Rusty blade like this.
  10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Can we all agree on soak your coffee?

11. richgem

The Bird is the word.

Erik Redd and Rusty blade like this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Everybody knows that.

Rusty blade and richgem like this.
  13. Rusty blade

I tried this "add half the water, let soak, then add the other half of the water" process and it did seem to make a difference. I like a brew that approaches an almost espresso-type flavour. I'm getting close...

whiteboy_cannon and richgem like this.
  14. Rusty blade

I do like the word bloom, but I agree...it does seem to be a bit overused -- coffee, brushes, soaps...what next? Flowers?

15. richgem

Nooooooooo! Not Flowers too!!!! :eek: :scared007:

whiteboy_cannon and Rusty blade like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've used a French Press for around over 20 years, on and off. I fell in love with them, while in Austria.
    I've found that proper measurement is needed, but soak time and proper mixing is very important. I add the coffee, fill the press with hot water, to the full level, then add the lid/filter. I press it down approx 1/2 inch, to make sure all coffee is covered with water. I then give the press little shake(spin), just slightly by the handle, to stir the mixture up. Let It steep 3 minutes. When finished, steeping, give it a little shake again, just enough to mix the codec grounds up, and press the mixture down. VIOLA, done.

Rusty blade likes this.
  17. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

he dances like a penguin :p

richgem and Rusty blade like this.
  18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

According to Merriam-Webster, you people are all misusing the word.
    upload_2016-5-22_7-30-33.png

Rusty blade likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Erik Redd likes this.
  20. Rusty blade

This morning, purely by mistake, I made the perfect cup of coffee. I heated the container with hot water. Emptied the water and added in a heaping tablespoon of ground coffee, filled the container half full with hot water. I then stroked my cleanly shaven cheeks and chin, admiring the handiwork of my excellent morning shave. Did this for 2 minutes. Then added in the remaining hot water and let that sit for another minute. Then slowly pressed down the plunger. I then stroked my chin and cheeks again (my what a great shave this morning) for another 30 seconds while the fine grind settled. Then poured my coffee and enjoyed a really nice cup of coffee. I must use Proraso again tomorrow:happy088:...I am sure this contributed to my excellent cup of coffee.;)

wristwatchb and mrchick like this.