French Press Coffee

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Rusty blade, May 21, 2016.

1. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

I know this is digging up a 5 month old thread, but one thing to look at with a french press is your grind. It needs to be coarse enough to filter, but still fine enough to brew properly.
    Already ground coffee is usually too fine for a french press, mostly because the expect that you will throw it in a MrCoffee with a paper filter. Many of the cheap(like $5-10) home grinders work more like a blender and chop rather than grind the beans, which is really easy to over grind and when making a coarse frenchpress grind it's too inconsistent(some pieces way to big, others turn to dust) for good extraction. Some of the grocery store grinders are better, but from what I've heard aren't cleaned very well. You may want to try a coarser setting on one of those. Or if you go to a specialty coffee roaster(most big cities have several now) most of them will grind it for you(on their good grinders that they actually know how to use and clean, usually you can tall them french press and they'll know what to do) for free, they also typically have amazing coffee and will sometimes let you have free samples.

The best thing to do at home is to get a burr grinder, these have concentric opposing cogs that actually crush and shape the coffee to the right size before it drops out into the output bin. Sure some of it is still finer than you would like, but most of it is all the same size. I think you can get a Hario hand grinder for about $50, and decent entry level grinders are maybe $100-150. I have Capreso Infinity, that I picked up about 4 years ago for around $100.00, 3 of my friends had the same one and really liked it. I actually got it to do espresso but ended up not really having the time to fiddle with my espresso machine and I sold it but kept the grinder.

Here's an external link to some info about grinders, it's a store so be warned they may be trying to sell you something, but I'm not affiliated with them in any way, https://prima-coffee.com/learn/article/buying-guides/burr-grinder-basics They do seem to have a lot of informative content that I've looked at before.

Anyway in short you may want to explore the grind in search of the perfect cup, and I would also recommend local roaster as I mentioned above, there are lots of them these days and as they roast their own beans they typically have the freshest possible coffee beans available.

Tjebbe likes this.