Fun with Shift Knobs & More :)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by TestDepth, Feb 18, 2018.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I had a manual Jeep Wrangler a while back, and I found a cool company making Skull shift knobs - Van Chase Customs. Had to have it... and someone else thought the same, because they broke in and stole it :angry017:. I purchased another but sold the Jeep before I installed it, and it was just sitting around for a few years.

Fast forward a few years and now I look at everything through a lens of how it could possibly be used in my shaving routine :rofl:. So when my Plisson handle started to crack I transplanted the knot into the “Punchy” Skull shift knob (used that in Friday’s SOTD).

I’ve completed 2 and was waiting on a knot to complete my 3 skull set. On Friday I got a Maggards 26mm black synthetic and figured it was time.
    CFC03414-8587-4951-B07B-3EFE83ABA20A.jpeg
    This shifter is a McPhail “Devil” and really fits my hand well - as it should, it’s a shift knob. :)

I learned in the previous projects that protecting the top from wandering sanding disks and other cutting implements is a good thing, so I installed my template and protected the circumference.
    761C5FC2-A1FB-44E9-8ED3-B2C9233BD9AB.jpeg
    I start with a drill bit taped to the proper depth, drilled holes throughout the template and then use sanding drums and discs to finish my hole.
    3C37DA84-1A6F-48FE-A27B-7254537C6CEB.jpeg
    Even with the tape I normally end up chipping the edge, and I did it again, but I had a plan. I thought a black o-ring would help hide the chip and also make a cool transition from skull to knot.

Going to share the outcome and the Skull Family in the next post.

2. TestDepth

Used Gorilla Glue’s 2 part epoxy to set the knot and here is the result...
    1099CF69-BD4C-4809-86B6-30A3A46B322A.jpeg
    And from the front:
    30BEEB8C-9B5B-4724-A594-9332BD7AA5B2.jpeg
    And now he has joined the Skull Family: Punchy, TopHat & Devil.
    C16CFAAF-809F-4176-A490-9000BDA0F587.jpeg
    I love the traditional brushes, but these do make me laugh and are enjoyable to use.
    Enjoy your shave!
    Tom.

LCBurt, Hembree, kfbrady and 24 others like this.
  3. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Very cool! Might have to borrow that idea. :innocent

PatrickA51 and TestDepth like this.
  4. TestDepth

Thank you and please do. They are surprisingly ergonomic... okay, except for that TopHat one :).

5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

That's absolutely amazing. It reminds me of the .. Timothy Leary? joke, where he said that pot isn't a gateway drug to other drugs - it leads to carpentry. "Hey, I bet I can make a bong out of that!"

Hey - if they make things more enjoyable for you - that's what it's all about, isn't it?

TestDepth likes this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That’s as cool as Corn Flakes!

TestDepth likes this.
  7. Bookworm

I just looked up that company, to see what it'd take to do the same. Yow! No wonder they look so good.

TestDepth likes this.
  8. TestDepth

No reason to buy new... after the one from a few years ago, all were “used.” That made me feel better about hacking them up. :)

Bookworm likes this.
  9. TestDepth

Thank you very much!

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Very nice!

:happy088:

It just gave me an idea. I have a few cue ball style wooden shifter knobs lying around. I bet they’ll make great brush handles.

12. TestDepth

Thanks Keith!

That would be cool to see! :eatdrink047:

13. TestDepth

So saw this and my mind immediately went to shave brush :).
    70AF8DF0-616F-40FA-BC95-BDDC3938DF72.jpeg
    I had a ‘76 Vette when I was in the Navy and a ‘75 back in the early/mid 2000’s. I’ve blown up a differential and sent a fan blade through fiberglass... obviously fun times:happy093:and I loved those cars!!!
    How better to remember those good times then to relive them with a cool shave. Not sure when I’ll complete it but I have my parts...
    8545DEA8-49C2-4B60-A62F-1E14C7D3BDC7.jpeg
    I really don’t think I have too much work to make this happen. I guess we’ll see.
    Tom

14. TestDepth

So I had an idea... to pay homage to those C3 Vettes, I thought I could put the silhouette into the side. I freehanded what I am thinking... so now I make or break the idea by carving/engraving into the wood. Wish me luck.
    F6A06560-0CCE-4F71-8153-08CC1FCB6959.jpeg

178-bplatoon, Keithmax, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. TestDepth

So an artist, I am not :).
    But gave it a shot with some dental picks
    E1225DCF-4A30-4B43-A5AF-9D8FDC4A3BCE.jpeg
    and filled in with a white pearl pigment in a 2-part epoxy.
    21A58DD7-B495-4440-BDF7-766F77C40D15.jpeg
    Will sand it down tomorrow and see what we got.

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I can’t wait to see how it turns out. Very cool and it looks like the perfect shift knob/shave brush combo.

TestDepth likes this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You look like an artist to me. Nice idea.

TestDepth likes this.
  18. TestDepth

Thank you - I appreciate that Brian. I hope it comes out well. My 1975 Vette was white so hoping this represents that car in a way.

mrchick likes this.
  19. TestDepth

Well that didn’t turn out as I hoped...:)
    A7C81D5B-BFAE-4C1B-9740-B7A5FD7008F7.jpeg
    The sanding lightened up the wood which created virtually no contrast. No big deal - I’ll probably scrape the white out, see if I can make the lines better, and try black this time.

20. Bookworm

It's not bad - it just doesn't pop. You could also stain it darker? Another option is scrape it out, stain it like you want, then put painters tape on it and expose the scratches. When you sand the plastic off, you should be able to stop at the tape, then peel/cut around what's left.

There's lots of things you can do, and few will be at all wrong :)

Good to see!

Keithmax, RyX and TestDepth like this.