Futur not assembled correctly at factory?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wquiles, Jan 12, 2013.

1. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

I have been noticing that although my Futur has a reputation for being more aggressive than other adjustables, it just felt to me "too" aggressive, even in the lowest level. So after removing the blade(!!!), I played a little with it.

So I first took some pictures/close-ups, of my Futur on its lowest setting, which is slightly less than "1" - note that the blade cover leaves a "gap" with the base, even at this lowest level (these are the "before" pictures):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By pressing on the blade cover, I notice that besides there being a fairly large gap, there was significant downward travel before the assembly touched bottom. So upon searching some more, I found and watched this video on how to disassemble the Futur (NEVER attempt with a blade in place!):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuDCHb9-uJ4

During re-assembly, I tried pushing harder, until the assembly touched bottom, and sure enough, I was able to go down more, a full extra turn, before re-engaging the locking pin. I then took these pictures (these are the "after" pictures), again starting at the lowest possible level:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice above the very significant reduction in the blade gap, and on the clearance once the cap is in place. Now, in this "correct" assembly position, when I open the gap to slightly over 6 (the max), now the gap of course grows larger as expected:
    [​IMG]

Does anyone else with a Futur also has that "large" gap on "1" like I showed in my first picture? Or does your Futur has a lower/smaller gap like in my "after" pictures?

Will

2. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

By the way, answering my own thread, I was able to verify that in fact my Futur was not assembled properly at the factory. Here is a picture from another thread/forum showing how it "should" look like:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this post will help current/future owners of the Futur razor.

Will

bittermormon likes this.
  3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I had purchased my preowned and when I received it the 1st thing that I did was take it apart and clean it. I followed the video on how to do it, so mine worked perfectly from the start(at least my start).

4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I don't own a Futur, but if I lay my hands on one, I'll know what to check!
    Thanks for posting!

alpla444 likes this.
  5. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

You are welcome guys :)

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Always good to know when someone has a solution to a problem. Glad you passed it along.