Futur Woes!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mynorx, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

Hi, I purchased a futur about 9 months ago I was actually my first Razor. It looks very cool but I did have a major issue with it (please see pictures) I sent it back and got a refund. now that I have almost a year under my belt I would like to give it another try. but I was just wondering if anyone else has or has had any issues with it like the blade miss aligned or the mechanism that adjusts the blade wiggles. I would like to purchase another one but I would like to know if this defect is a common occurrence or just a fluke. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. The Anachronist

The Anachronist New Member

I'm looking for similar info as well. I'm currently looking at purchasing either a Futur, Progress, or 39c. I read on several posts that blade alignment issues weren't rare on the Progress, but nothing of the sort on Futur. These were all 2-3 year old posts so hopefully we'll get more info on the current quality of the Futur's, and Progresses if you don't mind me adding to the original question.

Other than the evident manufacturing defects, how did you like the Futur? What other razors have you used?

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have the chrome model like yours. Fortunately no issues.

4. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

I too have the chrome one and no problems. It's my favorite razor...

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I don't own a Futur (or plan to), but I'll say that like with any product that has some question regarding QC; be certain to buy from a store with a good return policy and reputation for excellent customer service.

6. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I have a matte Futur in my cabinet... no issues with it.

7. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

I have owned a chrome Futur for a year or so and love it--it's my favorite. I also own a Progress XL which has a very slight blade misalignment--that bugs me. However, in terms of shave performance, I don't notice it. I generally get excellent shaves from both razors and wouldn't part with either one. One thing I especially like about the Futur is that changing the blade does not disturb the aggressiveness setting.

8. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if this razor was dropped before you received it. I think the QC is pretty good on Futurs, and so a defect of this magnitude would probably be caught well before being shipped out. Mine is built like a Swiss watch (doesn't give the time,
    though :cool:); the fit and finish is only rivaled by the razors with the Jagger-Muehle heads.

--Vance

9. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

recently I spoke with a vendor and they told me that I must of just received a lemon and that they have not had any issues. so I think Im gonna purchase one next month.

10. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I have two in matte finish and absolutely no problems; shave with them with different blades every week. The precision and finish is remarkable.

11. MarkStar

MarkStar Well-Known Member

I, too, have had a satin finish Futur for about 4 years now with no issues whatsoever.

If I were you I'd give it a second chance.

12. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Futur

I have the Chrome Futur also, no problems here, it is my absolute favorite razor.:cool:

13. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

2nd go...

Just got my second Futur in the mail today. This one is much better than the last one. I have not noticed any wiggle in the blade. will see how she handles tomorrow.

Attached Files:

14. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

after a year of DE schooling with a EJ89L. I feel this razor is very nice I did get a nice close shave with a Iridium blade on 2nd setting. I did not try to go up just because I wanted to get a feel for it. on two occasions I did feel a blade sting but that was due to angle. it felt well balanced not slippery at all. the head is quite big but feels good I was able to maneuver around quiet easily, under my nose and such. I do feel that this razor is not very good for beginners though. but a good choice to have once you have your technique down. I give it two thumbs up. I will put away my beloved EJ89L for now. I may let my dad use it. I got him using a brush and cream for a year now. the next step will be the razor. he still uses cheap O 99 cent store 3 blade razors.

15. Sparafucile

Sparafucile Member

Don't feel that you MUST dial it up. It is fairly aggressive on a low setting! I learned to shave with a DE; I have 50 years experience and a tough, wiry beard - yet I set mine on 1.5 with a Feather - and have no intention of dialing it up.

It's a great razor - I use it almost every day, even tho I have other razors; enjoy shaving with it.

16. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

thanks for the info Sparafucile. this morning I shaved with a permasharp blade on the 3rd setting it was very smooth yet aggressive. I will keep testing and dialing it up. just to see how far she'll go.