Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheDude82, May 16, 2015.

1. TheDude82

TheDude82 Well-Known Member

I just got a Merkur Futur. I have no idea what to expect with this thing as it was kind of an impulse buy. Any ideas where to start on the adjustment scale? Does it tend to like sharp blades or smooth blades? What have your experiences been?

Thanks for the help fellas.

Cap7597 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It's an agressive razor so if you like Muhle R41 then set it at 6 but it is probable best to start in the middle.

When I adjust the razor I use a hand towl. It is easy to have you slip and get cut. Also use a towl when removing the blade. Except for these tow quirks it's a great razor.

Of all my razors it the most accomadating to different blades. I just adjust it depending upon which blade I'm using.

Enjoy your new razor, it's one of my favorites.

feeltheburn likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have one and really like it. I keep it set just a tad under 3. I would say start around 1.5 - 1.75.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

My Futur works great with pretty much any blade I throw in it. I use mine on 2 or 2.5 most of the time. I'd say start on 1 and turn up slowly until you hit the shave you want.

Bristle Me likes this.
  5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

No better advice to be had right there.

feeltheburn likes this.
  6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

The futur was my first razor, and that thing can be turned up to a beast. Start low at a 1 or 2. I would suggest loading a blade you have consistent results with, and enjoy. Be sure to double check your blade alignment before you start, and make sure the top cap is snapped securely in place.

There is an informative video on YouTube that shows you how to disassemble for a good cleaning.

Bristle Me likes this.
  7. TheDude82

Thanks fellas! Just had a fantastic shave on 2 with a derby. Man, that thing is gonna be beast if it shaved that good on 2! I was curious how the blade alignment was going to go since you can't adjust it once the cap is on, but it went well. I think I'm really going to like this razor. It is very weighty!

8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've always wanted a Futur, they look really cool, everyone seems to be impressed with the shave. Enjoy your Futur! @TheDude82

9. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

The Futur always makes me think of Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still.

SHAVEWIZARD420, maltedmilk and Tdmsu like this.
  10. TheDude82

They can be had fairly reasonably used. I suggest picking one up. It's a great razor. Keep an eye on the sale listing on these forums.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One of the main razors I originally picked up this razor! Hefty, hefty, hefty…..
    [​IMG]

Tdmsu likes this.
  12. TheDude82

That's some pretty hardware!! Never seen that Jones before. What's it like?

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

+1 .... or a Vision

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ryan did a very comprehensive review and loaned me one to try. Aggressive little shaver.
    Heres his review: Click HERE!

PLANofMAN and TheDude82 like this.
  15. Bondage007

Bondage007 Active Member

I love the Futur. I use Wilkinson Swords set at 2.5 - 3.0 for a three pass head and face BBS. It took me about 4-6 shaves to get very comfortable with it.
    Here's mine with its brothers. image.jpg
    Cheers
    John

Tdmsu, RaZorBurn123 and TheDude82 like this.
  16. TheDude82

Beautiful collection!! I am loving my Futur!! I think I'll step it up a half notch tonight. I'm gonna stick with the Derby for now too. Anyone actually try this thing on 6?

Tdmsu and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  17. TheDude82

That thing is nuts!!! What a cool piece! I don't know that'd I'd have the guts to use it though, lol.

18. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's a very cool collection of razors. My head would explode every morning.

19. Bondage007

Bondage007 Active Member

I affectionately call it my Wolfpack. Working on the U.S. Collection currently.

Cheers
    John

maltedmilk likes this.
  20. Bondage007

Bondage007 Active Member

Yes my avatar tried it on 6.

maltedmilk likes this.