Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TheDude82, May 16, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's very much like a single edge razor that happens to take double edge blades. It's a tad bit aggressive if you don't watch the blade angle.

...much like the Futar, now that I think about it. :)

TheDude82 likes this.
  2. I've been using the futur for over 2 years and don't own any other DE. It's been so good I've not needed another. However, having come in this forum has not helped as all the great photos are now making me want to buy!

Tdmsu, Darkbulb and TheDude82 like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hanging out at TSD is akin to being on a diet and wandering through a top-flight BBQ joint.
    You're bound to succumb to temptation…
    :drool:

4. That's a problem as I regularly teach people how to avoid temptation!

5. Bondage007

Bondage007 Active Member

"Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself "
    RAD strikes again.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"Physician, heal thyself"....— Luke 4:23
    Of course, the choice of which razor to use or purchase probably wasn't a huge temptation for the majority of bearded first century Galileans... :D

TheDude82 likes this.
  7. TheDude82

TheDude82 Well-Known Member

Or was it....

8. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Since I moved to straights I really don't see myself going back to DE except for this razor. I haven't tried one but it is the one razor that is on my want list and will probably be the only DE I own before long besides my Edwin Jagger

9. SmurfK

SmurfK Member

Just had my first shave with Futur. Damn, this thing is heavy. :)

Was an interesting experience. I was searching for a more aggressive razor, and i think i found it. Started out at around 2.5, with a Gillette Platinum (RUS). I think it was a good place to start. More aggressive than HD on that dial, but not too much. Everything went great 'till my last pass, last touch ups, when i managed to slice my skin, right under lip. Not deep, as the bleeding stopped in few seconds. I don't even remember how it happened too well. Don't remember the razor to slip or something. I think i just moved it horizontally wanting to get into another spot, but i'm not really familiar with the weight and dimensions of this brick.

txskimo and TheDude82 like this.
  10. I do like the Futur having used it for more than two years as my regular razor. I also like the weight as it's own weight produces a great shave. No pressure needed. Have just got a Mühle R41, which I personally feel is closer. However, I only use the Futur on 3. Higher settings feel too awkward. Love it though!

Tdmsu, txskimo and TheDude82 like this.
  11. TheDude82

I could definately see that! The thing is such a beast I've had it slip on me a bit too. No damage though. I use mine on 2. 2.5 is too much for my fragile face, lol

Tdmsu likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Just never attempt to use the Futur dialed wide open…the gap is HUGE! Shaving with it is akin to shaving with a straight razor blind-folded. You know its gonna get you, but you won't know when…
    I tried it on two occasions. One time resulted in a VERY close shave. A second time and I got about halfway into the shave before blood began flowing…..:eek:
    [​IMG]

maltedmilk, txskimo and Tdmsu like this.
  13. TheDude82

:shocked003:yikes!!

14. Robin Osborn

Robin Osborn New Member

Great razor. I've had one for about two years and I love it. Nice weight and very comfortable to use. My only issue with it is the bulk of the shaving head. It does not lend to delicate shaving where the nose meets the upper lip - at least for me. I have been using a multi-blade Fusion to finish the job. I will be purchasing a razor with a less bulky, more precision type shaving head, like the Merkur 34C HD, in the near future. Outside of that, the Futur gives a wonderful shave.

maltedmilk likes this.
  15. SmurfK

SmurfK Member

For me, EJ DE89 is bulkier for under the nose. I get better results with that. On the other hand, Merkur HD is better than Futur in those areas. Guess is YMMV with this issue too.
    Adjusted a little lower for last shaves, 1 and 1.75 and was great. No more cuts, and close shaves, DFS. I'm still having problems around the chin area, as i find it harder to maneuver than Merkur HD, but i'm guessing that this aspect will improve for next shaves.

txskimo likes this.
  16. TheDude82

practice, practice, practice...It can be an unwieldy beast

Tdmsu likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a big, big razor.