G Bar shaving angle.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Aug 27, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I got my first SE razor. Do you put the angled part of the head flat against the face to shave? I'm wondering if this puts the blade at the correct shaving angle. Don't often see these in the U.K.
    image.jpeg

2. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I just got one of those last week. Funny how you shave with GEMs. I have the Micromatic, Featherweight, 1912, Damaskeene, Junior, and the push-button also. You almost have it flat up against your face. Seems weird at first but the shave is excellent.

Billyfergie, Jim99 and dangermouse like this.
  3. dangermouse

You like them then ;) Mine is getting tried tonight. I've just had a look at some Ever Ready razors, apparently there is something called an 'E Bar', which is almost identical to Gem's 'G Bar'.

Billyfergie, Robyflexx and Jim99 like this.
  4. dangermouse

So, flat part of the head against the face then move the handle slightly downwards?

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. That G Bar gives a great shave.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Billyfergie, gorgo2 and Jim99 like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That is correct. Put the head of the razor flat to your face, then tilt the back/handle end so that side is slightly off your face and shave.

The G bar is a great razor and is one of my favorite SE razors. I pair it up with a Gem Personna SS blade and get smooth close shaves.

Try it. You'll like it!

Billyfergie, Robyflexx and gorgo2 like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup.

Yup. It's about tied for 1st with my 1914.

Yup.

Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    SEptember will be SE month for me. I will be breaking out the G-Bar.

Billyfergie and dangermouse like this.
  9. dangermouse

SEptember = SE month. I like that :)

That was remarkably easy actually. The blade I was using didn't feel so great though; the first pass was poor compared to my normal de blade. I got the blades here:
    http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

I think these are the same ones as Jim99 recommends, so perhaps it was because it was a first time shave. What does everyone think of these blades? Are there others?

Billyfergie and alpla444 like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Treets are very good though not stainless. You need to dry them after use.[​IMG]

dangermouse and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:signs011:..There Has Too Much been Made in Forums of this Shave Flat Against the Face Malarkey with SEs...As this Gent Said...Flat Against the Face & Drop the Handle Until it Cuts...The Head will Be Approx 25 Degrees from the Face when it Cuts..There are Very Few SEs that Shave Flat Against the Face & I have Had them All just About..:D

Billy..:chores016:

Jim99, dangermouse and Robyflexx like this.
  12. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Here is the Ever Ready, Its a NOS one, Sorry for poor quality pics, but aint much daylight today here in UK at this time. P1070553(1).JPG P1070554(1).JPG P1070555(1).JPG

Linuxguile, Jim99, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Those blades are good, and you dont have choice really here in the UK, I found SE shaves ok, Try a cold water shave with the same blade I found it worked much better, just not keen on cold water shaves lol.

Im sure somebody in the USA could order blades for you and send them over, or send you a few samples maybe??

dangermouse and Billyfergie like this.
  14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice razor and nice picture, :)

Billyfergie and dangermouse like this.
  15. dangermouse

Billyfergie and alpla444 like this.
  16. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I'm guessing you bought the G-Bar on eBay from me.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN and Billyfergie like this.
  17. dangermouse

Ha! Hello, Dean :)

alpla444 and Billyfergie like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As we know DE blades are so YMMV, so are SE blades.
    Just so you @dangermouse have another opinion, I couldn't stand the Treet blades. Hated 'em, but that's me.
    I can get Gem SE blades at our local ShopRite and love 'em.

dangermouse, Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Exactly Billy! I have seen many times people giving the recommendation to keep the head flat to the face. The blade will never touch the whiskers that way! Tilting the back end up and pulling the razor along the skin is the only way it works, but this key piece of advice is often left out. BTW, that's the advice I had gotten on another forum (of course) when I first used my Gem junior and I could not figure out why there was no whisker reduction. Good thing I'm reckless at times. I threw caution to the wind, lifted the back end, started shaving and was treated to the sweet sound of buttering toast! Ahhh!
    :shaver

alpla444 and Billyfergie like this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Yep! That's where I get mine too! $4.29 for 10 blades. You must be from New Jersey too!

swarden43 and Billyfergie like this.