gap space

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by icemanwbs, Oct 16, 2014.

1. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

This may sound a bit odd, but being a newbie I haven't a clue. Anyway, using the Gillete slim adjustable as a reference, what would the settings on other razors be? Ie; say a Gillette tech, or red tip flare. :signs002: Just wondering because I'm using the adjustable comfortably set at 3, but have a black handle flare and a red tip flare and also a regular flare that seam to be more "aggressive" Any thoughts ?

2. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

RaZorBurn123 and ObiDon like this.
  3. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Take a look at the wealth of knowledge here in the Den, as I have, to get closer to that perfect shave. There are many many threads and posts about blades and razors and about what angle the razor should be held at, which will keep all of us busy for a long time in our quest, for the great shave. I have both a Slim and a Tech, and I have my Slim set on 5. My shave with the Slim is easier than with my Tech, because I let the weight of the Slim do all the work. With the Tech I have to use more preasure, or so it seems, to get the same close shave, which gives me some burn, if I'm not carefull. The angle I hold each of these is also different, and I use a Feather blade is both. When you change the adjustment on the Slim both the gap and the blade angle changes, so keep that in mind when you change the setting on it. Also make sure the doors are open, at least part way, when you change the settings. So you may have the same problem that I have, which is using too much preasure with the other razors, or you may need to use a shallower angle, or a different blade, soap, preshave etc. As always our quest continues. Enjoy the ride!:eatdrink047:

icemanwbs likes this.
  4. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

icemanwbs likes this.
  5. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I thought there may be a gap difference big enough to cause the nicks and irritation , but your analysis is really spot on. Thanks again.
    Peace.