GarnerPW Brush IX

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GarnerPW, Dec 3, 2017.

1. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I had a 26mm Maggard Synthetic knot that I had to make handle for so for brush IX I decided to try and make a Bee Hive handle. I think it turned out really well.

IX with knot.jpg

IX.jpg IX left.jpg

My problem is that after making it, it started to split on me.

IX split.jpg

So my question to you, wood working enthusiast, "Is there anything I can do to save this brush?" or "Do I need to toss it and start over?" Which would be sad cause I really like the character of the wood.

Jim99, RyX, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Just an idea. Fill the crack with wood glue and put sawdust from the same piece of wood on top. Press down some so the sawdust sticks to the glue. Might have to do it a couple of times, then sand it down and shape it. After staining it should be ok.

Jim99, RyX, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

My wife... the handy(wo)man in the family agrees with Jim's idea. That's what she would do.

GarnerPW likes this.
  4. GarnerPW

RyX and sdguero like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

GarnerPW likes this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

If the wood isn't dry it may continue crack and in different places. Using saw dust is a common fix if you want some contrast use fine ground coffee and crazy glue. Woodturning catalogs will sell products for filling cracks (inlace) turquoise, etc. Nice design on the handle.

RyX and GarnerPW like this.
  7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

This technique works quite well with epoxy. I mix quite a bit of sawdust from that wood (don’t use dust from other types of wood) with some epoxy until it is a thick paste. Fill the crack, and only the crack and then sand it. There should be enough sawdust in the epoxy that it will take the stain and not be as noticeable.

Jim99, GarnerPW and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

As well as my suggestion above, Lee Valley does sell some resin based wood stabilizer. It would cost more than the wood is worth, though.

GarnerPW likes this.
  9. GarnerPW

My son & I went to the local hardware store to pick up some wood putty and woodglue for IX. I made him drive his car. On the way home, about 3 miles from home, we were involved in a MVA. The other vehicle came into our lane. I do not believe I will be working on IX any more tonight.

[​IMG]

We are fine. Just getting check out at the hospital.

Linuxguile and mrchick like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Geez..... Glad you are okay. Holy cow.

GarnerPW likes this.
  11. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Ouch, at least you walked away from it.

GarnerPW likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Hope you are all OK.

GarnerPW likes this.
  13. GarnerPW

Just pain from the seat belt.

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  14. sdguero

I'm glad you're both doing all right. Too bad about your son's car but those can be replaced. You two can't. Take care!

Dan

RyX, GarnerPW and Jayaruh like this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Wow. I am glad to hear that you both are ok. Don’t be surprised if you all are sore tomorrow. Take it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GarnerPW and RyX like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’m glad to hear you are both ok. That looks scary.

GarnerPW and RyX like this.
  17. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Looks like the pieces parts all did what they are supposed to do. Glad you guys are okay and modern cars certainly do a better job of protecting folk than the old Heavy Metal.

GarnerPW likes this.
  18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Glad you both are Ok, Ken. I rather like the handle with the crack in it. I think it gives it character. Perhaps you could just fill it with clear epoxy to stabilize it.

19. GarnerPW

I just got Brush IX finished. I address the crack in it by mixing wood glue and some of the sawdust from the same piece of wood. Then mashing it into the crack. The crack now looks a lot like a scar to me. The first to pictures are of the front of the brush.

[​IMG] [​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG]

The next two are showing the crack/scar.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Jim99, Jayaruh, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  20. sdguero

I like it! Looks great, Ken! :happy096:

Linuxguile and GarnerPW like this.