GarnerPW Brush X

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GarnerPW, Dec 6, 2017.

1. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

When I turned Brush IX I also turn another from the same piece of wood. That one had all kinds of worm holes in it though and I was going to use it as a sample to try out some different techniques. First I filled the holes with a different wood putty. Then I tried mixing some different shades of oil finish. It turned out so nice that I may have to put a knot in it. I still have to put a top coat on it and set the knot.

[​IMG]

Brush X left.jpg Brush X right.jpg

The dark lines are grains in the wood where the stain has highlighted not splits. I am going to put my first coat of finish on tomorrow evening. I will post more picks then. Though I am still on the fence if I should finish in wax or satin polyurethane.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Keithmax, AGHisBBS, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice job. I like the shape. It looks very ergonomic. Now, I want to see it finished.

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Looks amazing, Ken!

sdguero and GarnerPW like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree with @Jayaruh, it has a nice shape to it.

sdguero and GarnerPW like this.
  5. GarnerPW

Last night was the end of the required 72hrs wait time before applying a finish coat. I applied a couple coats of wax. Will do a couple more today. The conundrum I am now facing is when I started this brush I was going to put a B&W fan knot in it. Yesterday I had some horse knot that finally arrived from VigShaving.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keithmax, jtspartan and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

Gives it that rustic look...........

GarnerPW likes this.
  7. GarnerPW

So you like the horse over the synthetic Jim?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

I think it looks better. Have never used one personally. Just going by looks, either that or a synthetic horse hair.

GarnerPW likes this.
  9. GarnerPW

Thank you sir.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

Of course that's my opinion, but it does look nice, no doubt about it...........