Gave Derbies a last chance.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GeneralKinetics, Oct 1, 2014.

1. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

So, today, with 24 hours of growth, which is enough to shave for me, I gave Derbies the last chance ever.

Last time I used them was when I started, in an Ej89. I tried it in my beloved RazoRock Jaws OC razor, and it was good, one slight horizontal nick. I had to sit around for 5 minutes while a couple weepers stopped bleeding. Not quite as good as a Dorco301 or an Astra SP, so I'm still never buying them ever again. But, it was way better in a razor that was more aggressive and made more sense to me. I also palm stropped it a few times before I used it.

To my surprise, there was no tugginess, but it wasn't quite as smooth as I would like, because I'm a pansy, lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
    spacehobo and 178-bplatoon like this.
  2. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Meh I think Derbys are rubbish.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    As usual, YMMV. I have no problem with Derbys. Maybe it is technique, but I only remember one blade that I retired after one shave. It was a Voskhod, and I have not had troubles with any other of those.

BigMark likes this.
  4. GeneralKinetics

It gave me alot less trouble with the Jaws, then with the EJ89 in the beginning. I'm a thousand times better and my face is in a thousand times better shape. I think that compared to the same razor with different blades and same amount of hair, I got worse results.

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Derbies...face hurts just thinking about them.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm glad you had success. Derby's are one of those brands with a notorious reputation for discomfort.

7. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Sorry, I tried a derby once and once was more than sufficient for me.

VedderLG and KnockOut Shave like this.
  8. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Derby's slice my face into little pieces.

VedderLG and markjnewcomb like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'll never buy Derby again but they're no worse (for me) than Vokshod...Voshkod...Volkswagen, whatever. Both inexcusably rough.

KnockOut Shave likes this.
  10. BigMark

Easy now my grandmother is German. ;)

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

One of my favorite blades.......close, comfortable shaves.

Ed

DonMac likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No disrespect to your lovely Grossmutter, Mark!

(My mom's 1/2 German...or Dutch...she's never been sure...I got me some muddled genealogy)

BigMark likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Nice of you to give those :angry019: Derbies another try..:) I tried them in the beginning, I really wanted to like them, I ended up really "HATING" them...:( Of course one of the great things about this style of shaving over cart shaving is blade availability and choice. There are so many wonderful blades to choose from, you don't have to tolerate a blade that preforms less than exactly the way you want.:happy088:

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Revisiting things you tried, when you first started is sensible. Sometimes as your technique develops, your preferences can change. They don't always, but there is only one way to find out, so good on you for going back & re-testing.

spacehobo likes this.
  15. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. I am revisiting soaps that I tried when I was first starting out. It amazes me how much better they are at making soaps now that I know how to lather. ;)

178-bplatoon likes this.
  16. BigMark

Most of us Americans do. Just call me Heinz 57.

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Me too. Funny thing is how my students (mostly foreign-born) found that so fascinating.

18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Derby was the first blade I ever tried as it came free with my Edwin Jagger razor. I think it is a shame that most newbies introduction to DE shaving are with such inferior blades.

VedderLG and markjnewcomb like this.
  19. GeneralKinetics

Yeah. They're just not good enough to buy again. I've totally moved on from them, but I'm glad that I gave them a second chance to really make sure.

20. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Yet they were proclaimed the pinnacle of blade nirvana not that many years ago. I found Derby blades to be outstanding when used with a Merkur 34C razor, but not good at all when used with an Edwin Jagger DE89. It might be that the blades work well only in a few select razors.

GDCarrington and DonMac like this.