Gave Derbies a last chance.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GeneralKinetics, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

It's always good to go back after some time and
    give something another try.

I just about tossed mine into the bin.
    For some reason I decided to give one a go
    in my Fatip. I'm glad I did.
    It's my go-to setup now when I've not shaved in 3-4 days.

But, as they say, YMMV.

DonMac likes this.
  2. RazorZombie

RazorZombie Member

Count me in on the anti-Derby bandwagon. I'm only three shaves in with my first DE and I've already tossed three Derbys in the razor can. Only went for them first because I ended with two packs; one from the sampler and one that came with my DE89.

Attempt 1 I got in three passes with only a minor nick, but my face felt like a mile of bad road afterwards. Tossed that blade, but gave Derby another go, thinking maybe I just tried to do too much for the first time. Nope. Tossed blade #2, but waited a few days and gave it a third go thinking maybe my skin just hadn't recovered from the first try. Only did two passes and it still felt almost as bad as dry shaving with a cartridge.

Not sure what blade to try next, but it won't be another Derby.

Shaver X likes this.
  3. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

I think they're decent blades. not the best or the worst for me.

DonMac likes this.
  4. Edwin_Hernandez

Edwin_Hernandez New Member

I love derbies...they are my go to blade for most of my shaves. Very smooth for me. The only blades that i have found to hate are the super iridiums and gillette super thins. Found them to yank too much. Note I'm not saying derbies are the greatest just right for me. My faves are the gillette silver blues. Note: im a head shaver and the worst thing is a rough blade for me. Cant offered a weeper on my noggin!

DonMac and Shaver X like this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Derby blades + Merkur 34C razor gave me shaves that were second to none
    Derby blades + Edwin Jagger DE89 razor gives me lousy shaves

CVS store brand (Personna) blades + Merkur 34C razor gave me lousy shaves
    CVS store brand (Personna) blades + Edwin Jagger DE89 razor gives me shaves that are second to none

I found the above true for a few other blades, as well. That only goes to show that it is the razor + blade combination that counts, not the razor or blade alone. When people say a blade is good or bad, it would be helpful to know what razor(s) they are using. Like some folks have done here. So many people now dislike Derbys, yet the exact opposite was true a few years ago. I wonder what changed? Maybe the razors used?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

Derby blades are my favorites. Nice close irritation free shaves no matter the razor.

Another case of ymmv.

7. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

Derby's are a middle of the road blade for me. They give me a decent blade and will work well in a pinch. But there are better blades out there and they are not in my regular rotation.
    I started with Derby and luckily they gave me a good enough shave to let wet shaving develop into a hobby and not just an annoying chore, and for that I will always be grateful.

8. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

I have only used Derbys and wilkinsons. The derbies I find are not as smooth. I have two packs unfortunately. Will give them a break and go back to them later.

9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I've used them, hated them, used them again and hated them even more.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.

11. DrTerror

DrTerror Well-Known Member

I have had a pack of Derby's in the drawer for about 5 years,and never got round to trying one!,saying that,I have lots of blades in the drawer that I have never tried ;)

12. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

i just started to shave with a derby which has only been used once. it felt like shaving with a blunt knife. i switched mid shave to a wilkinson. what a difference. i have a pack of feather blades. should i try them or stick with the wilkinsons for a while.

13. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

I think shaver X nailed it. For some reason some blades simply don't work well in some razors. I love feathers, but have some razors in which they don't seen to agree with. I have been buying Derby's for years and find them an excellent mid-grade blade. I just got a new stash of 100 blades.
    I can remember on forums not that many years ago when Derby was a favored blade.
    I am sure some shavers do have extremely tough whiskers that may require only the sharpest of blades.

14. recon813

recon813 New Member

Love hate relationship with the derby. At times I have a pleasant experience with them, and other times I'm busy with my alum block. Not my go-to blade, as I much prefer Astra blades.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Corresponding Theme Song ...

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/corresponding-theme-song.46365/page-10#post-894986

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The main issue with Derbies is that many people use them as their very first blade.

dscaver likes this.
  17. DonMac

DonMac Active Member

Haven't use a Derby in a while, but because of this thread, I took one out of my blade rotation that had 18 shaves on it, put in it a Maggard MR5 and enjoyed a very nice DFS two pass shave.

18. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

For me, Derby does not work in any razor. They are simply completely dull. They begin to skip and jump and I loose control over the movements unless I grab the razor really hard and add pressure. This means a lot of irritation. So no, never any Derby blades for me.

19. Munichjoe

Munichjoe Member

got derbies in a sampler pack, tried em once, twice, thrice...... no go..... only led to pulling and irritation. I couldnt even finish a half shave w/ em