GEM Bullet Tip with 'Magic Eye'

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I just ordered this on eBay for twenty-seven dollars, and from tryablade.com I sent away for ten of the PAL Blue Carbon Steel blades. I've been curious about shaving with a single-edge safety razor, especially this one, as using it doesn't require fiddling around trying to find the right angle (or so I get from the description). Has anyone else used this type of razor? What were your thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Keithmax and Linuxguile like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Enjoy your new razor. You may find PTFE coated blades to be more comfortable, but there's certainly nothing wrong with trying carbon ones. With either choice, it may be helpful to hand strop them against your jeans or even your palm before first use. Here are some other useful tips:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/se-gem-shaving-tips-tricks.31529/

Keithmax and Michael_W like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Michael, I hate to tell you this but the carbon blades from Tryablade are not shaving blades they are bulk labratory blades (I have 200 of the pal and Gem CS blades from Ted Pella sitting in a drawer waiting to be used in a future paint scraping project because they were awful) and they will leave you thinking that you hate the razor and shaving with SE's (Jamie @EzraCobb and Neal @NCoxSTL and Perry @PLAla can attest to this). The Bulk GEM Stainless PFTE blades are very nice to shave with, however. If you like PM your address and I will send you a couple to try. If you want to try to find the actual Pal Super blue blades meant for shaving they will either come in a 5 or 10 pack and have .009 stamped on the spine and not PAL.

Jim99, Keithmax, Jorvaljr and 2 others like this.
  4. Michael_W

I see. I'll keep that in mind. I know Walgreen's has the GEM shaving blade packs, so I'll pick some up on my way home this evening.

Jim99 likes this.
  5. Michael_W

Alright, my GEM razor arrived yesterday and I loaded it with the GEM blade that was packaged with it, and proceeded to shave. For my moustache and under-nose area, and the edges of my sideburns, I used my Merkur 34c.

I found that holding the razor's flat side against my skin was a bit trickier than I imagined it would be, but eventually I did manage it. There is a bit of a learning curve for me here, being more used to shaving with a double-edge safety razor. It was also a lot easier to nick up my neck than I thought. It has always given me trouble, requiring more passes than does my face, and is much more prone to nicking. I imagine that as I learn how best to use the razor and refine my technique, however, that this will cease to be much of a problem just as it did with my double-edge razors.

Jim99, Keithmax and Jorvaljr like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It takes a little bit of a curve but once you get it, they provide excellent shaves. A super light touch is all you need. The blade is stiffer and less forgiving than a DE. The blade should last about 10 or so shaves. So if you think the blade is the problem you would usually notice it the first shave so any issues should be technique. Since the neck is your problem spot, keep to the cheeks and mouth area with the SE and neck with a DE.

Jim99 and Keithmax like this.
  7. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Just like any other razor there is a bit of a learning curve on the proper technique. One you find the proper angle the Bullet Tip aka Flying Wing will give you GREAT shaves. Be careful though the next thing you know you will be looking at injectors and hunting for an OC Damaskeene. My suggestion is to pick up a GEM 1912 or GEM Damaskeene. Both are great razors. For more info on SE razors check out TOST. It is a small forum with a lot of guys from here at TSD. We just talk about SE razors.

Michael_W and Jim99 like this.