GEM FeatherWeight razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Continuing to, slowly, go through the lot I bought;
    [​IMG]

First I cleaned up the GEM G-Bar (2nd from left).
    This time it was the GEM Featherweight's turn (4th from left).

It was also in very decent condition and seems to be work great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first thing that struck me is how similar the Featherweight is to the G-Bar I had just cleaned up:
    [​IMG]

(By the way, I learned that it's 'incorrect' to refer to the silver one as "G-Bar" - back in the days GEM launched it as "Heavy Flat Top").

The head on these two razors are supposed to be near identical and the main difference is obviously in the handle.

The Heavy Flat Top is almost exact twice as heavy as the Featherweight which gives a nice heft to it.

I have yet to shave with either of them yet but now I'm rather looking forward to being able to compare these razors from the 1950's.

Jim99, Slow Joe, 178-bplatoon and 4 others like this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I like both, but I think the Featherweight edges out the G-Bar. Not by much though. They're both great shaves and I think you'll like them.

Jim99 and Darkbulb like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I like both, too, but prefer the G's weight. Not a thing wrong with the Feather, though, and that looks pristine.

Jim99 and Darkbulb like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I hear/read that they are both considered to be very mild shavers

5. Mr. Shaverman

I've read that too, but don't have much to compare them too. I will say that while I gave myself some pretty good burn when I started to learn SE, I've never cut myself with one unless it was my own actual fault. I don't like to shave with them very often, but I do like to use them now and then to mix it up. My featherweight looks as white as yours, and neither ever struck me as a razor Charles Manson stuck in his pits.

Darkbulb likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have the featherweight, and I like it, too.
    [​IMG]

Bill G and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    @Darkbulb when you do shave with these SE razors, I hope you have some good blades. The ones from Walgreens that are PTFE coated are very good IMHO. The ones from CVS are cheaper, but they are also cheaper (junk).

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The featherweight is a nice razor, I picked one up for $5, great condition. would make a nice travel razor. You've got a nice pile of loot! :happy088:

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I have some PTFE coated ones from Connaught that I rather like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gorgo2 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm looking forward to your observations of these two...
    I compared them a while back...I guess its an obvious desire, because their heads and combs are so similar, but it ends there....I've seen on several forums were folks compare these two, and usually love one and not the other and its always different....ha,ha.

I do think they shave similar but also different enough to like one over the other....For me, I guess the Feather Weight won out. It's also funny that these guys are always listed as mild non-aggressive razors...I think they are not overly aggressive but still pretty darn efficient. Especially when compared to DE razors. I think the Feather Weight reminds me of my favorite Injectors. And like injectors, the same razor can be mild or take your face off depending on your technique...;)

Congratulations by the way...both of yours are lovely....I hope you get great shaves with both.....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Darkbulb likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Had one. PIFed it. Too light for my taste.
    I do like my G-Bar, even if that's not PC.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. Bird Lives

MICKEY MANTLE puts an end to the debate...Feather Weight wins hands down..
    Check it out...theres a cartoon strip ad...where Mickey Mantle says that he used to "Strike Out" with his girl til he shaved with the GEM Feather Weight razor and now he's "hitting Home Runs!"

Guess that does it....if that didn't make every young man in the early 50's want m the Feather Weight....I mean "Home Runs"? Forget "First Base"! LOL! whew! Never heard anyone say THAT about the G-bar.....ha,ha!

I think I'll get my Feather Weight out, clean her up and it out for a test shave myself...lol! I mean if it works for "The Mick"

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    178-bplatoon and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I wonder what Mickey was shaving with here:
    [​IMG]

LaSalle82 likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Here's Perry Como shaving him :)
    [​IMG]

LaSalle82 and Bill G like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

and just for fun here's Frank Sinatra in 1965:
    [​IMG]

Mr Sinatra was a DE razor kinda guy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LaSalle82, 178-bplatoon and Bill G like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Izzat a Slim that Sinatra's using? Mantle looks like he (or someone) has two regular Super Speeds, maybe a TV special.

17. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

That's what I told you in your thread on the G-Bar/HFT, GEM went to that style frame first with the Micromatic Bullet Tip/Flying Wing and stayed with it right through the Contours with some minor variations.

And by the way it's Feather Weight (two words) and here is an ad with Mickey Mantle:

[​IMG]

18. Mr. Shaverman

Interesting ad, considering the pricing.

Mickey's can of goo is $0.79. A can of Barbasol goo today is $0.99. 50 years and only a $0.20 cent increase.

A razor and 10 blades, $1.00. A new razor and 10 carts? About $20-25?

19. Bird Lives

And personally, I've never gotten a shave from these new carts that can even come close....

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  20. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Sweet razor and Sinatra pic's and old Mickey Mantle add :happy088: :happy088:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Bama Samurai likes this.