GEM FeatherWeight razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Dec 2, 2014.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've used the SE blades sold by CVS in my area, I believe they are made by Dorco. At any rate they don't compare to the SS Gem IMO and give me a very unacceptable and uncomfortable shave. :)

2. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

I've heard others say the same thing. So I ordered some Personna blades on Amazon.

3. shave/brush

Could someone tell me how the shave compares with the GEM feather weight to the Heavy Flat Top (GEM G-bar)?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

They pretty much shave the same to me. The HFT is a bit heavier than the Feather Weight. Both are affordable and give me at least a mild, comfortable shave, neither however gave me as close a shave as a Gem 1912 or ER 1924. Either or both are definitely worth trying and are nice to have in your collection. :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same to me, too. If I had to pick one it would probably be the featherweight, but I think that has more to do with the way the handle feels to me than the actual shave.

6. shave/brush

Thanks for your input gentlemen.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

The HFT is almost exactly twice as heavy as the Feather weight.
    To me they both gave very good shaves. I found that I had to do some touch-ups after using the feather that I didn't need to when using the HFT.
    That is also based on one usage per razor :)

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. shave/brush

I saw on a thread on facebook that someone said he got better shaves from the feather weight. I guess it's another case of YMMV. I'm sitting on the edge of my chair waiting for the FW to come in. Got GEM Personna blades on order also.

Darkbulb likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Photos and review will be required :D

10. shave/brush

I will certainly post photos and a review as soon as I get it. It's funny I have a $149.00 Mongoose SE razor and I'm just as excited about this old one.

11. shave/brush

I'm suppose to get my GEM Feather Weight in on Monday. It took a week just to go from N.J. to Mass. Must be coming by mule train. I can't wait.

Mr. Shaverman and Darkbulb like this.
  12. shave/brush

I finally got my GEM Feather Weight in. I just took it for a spin and it was as smooth as everyone says it is. That is one fine razor. I just bought a Mongoose SE and this GEM may just beat it. Very smooth. I think this will be my go-to razor for awhile. I may even buy a back up.
    I don't usually take apart my razors and dry them after use but I may do so with this one only because it is made with kind of cheap metal.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great you liked it!
    Yeah I must admit there is something about those old GEM SE razors and how they shave. "Effortless efficiency"

14. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I kind of agree with you on it being made of cheap metal, but on the other side of the coin mine are over 50+ years and still shine, look new and perform like new. So, I don't think these were made too cheaply. :D

Darkbulb likes this.
  15. shave/brush

When I think of all the razors I bought in the last 3 years, I wish I started with this one, I may have saved myself some money. Maybe.....

Darkbulb likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Highly doubtful :)

17. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Just snagged one myself this weekend.
    Gem.PNG

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

In what looks like excellent condition. Congrats!
    And, got to love what you can get them for....

19. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Just need an unopened pushpack and it is ready for the cabinet.

Attached Files:

20. shave/brush

Wow 'Misphit', now that I see what you got for that price I feel like I got screwed for $10.00. Ha!