Gem Featherweight

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dave Paskowski, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

I might have a chance of getting a Gem Featherweight and have a question or two. What blades do you recommend ? Are blades for these hard to find?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

The blades are easy enough to find at most drug stores. But, the "best" (ymmv) are the Personna blades distributed by EMS (electron microscopy supply) and by Ted Pella (google for it). The Featherweights are the more mild of GEMs, I think you'll be happy.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I can get Gem single edge blades at ShopRite.
    I can get Treet single edge blades at a small local grocery store.

I use the Gem blades and wouldn't wish Treet blades on my enemies.

But that's me.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I also use Gem SS..I was getting them from Walgreens,but the one closest to my house has discontinued selling them, so I'll need to look around a little. If you can't find them locally they are easy enough to find online....One I.M.O. I'd advise against bothering using store branded Korean(Dorco?) blades, I've found them rather harsh and not near as good as the Gems of course YMMV..

I own and have used a couple of Gem FeatherWeight's, I found them to be a nice mild(light) razor, my only complaint with them is the handle is unremovable and so can't be changed for a heavier one, as can the 1912's and 1924's.....In fact if you like the FeatherWeight you might want to give a 12 or 24 a try.....I use a 1924(aka ShovelHead) daily and find it a good and pleasent shaver....:)

5. swarden43

DO NOT, DO NOT use single edge blades purchased in hardware stores or departments. They are NOT made for shaving.

richgem likes this.
  6. richgem

shameless plug ; see my SE shaving tips and tricks around here somewhere. Can't find the link right now

7. swarden43

Here it is! ---> *click here*

richgem likes this.
  8. richgem

thanks Steve... It s too hard to search on my phone

9. Dave Paskowski

Thanks for the link guys. Very good read and tons of information for newbies. Wish me luck into this endeavour.

richgem likes this.
  10. swarden43

You are both welcome.
    And good luck to ya, Dave! Keep in mind that the SE requires even less pressure than the DE.

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

You have all my wishes and support about trying the Feather Weight.....First of I don't think Gem ever made a razor that was less than perfect...YMMV

The Feather Weight is super light but also super well balanced...handles like a Porsche and although it's the mildest of the SE's, it shaves closer and easier than any DE I have tried...Results easilt as good as a shavette but far easier...;)

I love the Gem SS blades; Walgreens, Ted Pella, EMS, etc......and I love the Treets, CVS etc....The Treets are carbon steel...give great shaves but can rust after 1 shave...The Gem SS are stainless and I have gotten 16 shaves on a blade before, but I was pushing it...(on vacation and didn't have any more SE blades and the shaves were still far superior than a new Pro-glide would have been)...I've never gotten more than 3 good shaves with any DE blade....

After you fall in love with the GEM F-W you might want to try some other GEMs and Ever Readys....They all :git:

12. swarden43

Yeah, my mileage varied. It was a little too light for my liking so I gave it away.

13. Dave Paskowski

Well after almost two months with the Featherweight I've come to the conclusion that it's not for me. When my 3 months are up it's getting traded.