Gem Featherweight

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Well, my first shave with the Gem wasn't a roaring success; but neither was it a disaster. I ended up with a decent shave, but it took more effort than my DE and Injector razors.

The head is quite cumbersome, but I expected that. The blade wasn't ultra sharp, but I am guessing the pack is still the original from the 50s. Maybe they have improved since then. Face and upper lip are nice and smooth, neck still a bit stubbly. I quit because I had already taken several passes.

I will say this - the razor is mild. No nicks or weepers at all. I had to really ride the cap and keep the blade at about 85 degrees or so.

I can't see this becoming a daily driver. The Schick Injectors are MUCH better tools for the job. Still, what a cool razor to shave with! I am glad I have one (and one on the way - with new blades as well).

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 3.59.44 PM.png

TestDepth, AGHisBBS, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Had one. Wasn't impressed. Too light for my liking. PIF'ed it.

sdguero, Billyfergie and Knox like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is probably my least favorite SE razor. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they designed this one.

4. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

At least it will look good on a shelf.

sdguero and Jayaruh like this.
  5. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Glad you're giving the Featherweight a run, @Knox. Yes, it's a milder shaver but a good performer nonetheless. Don't be too quick to write it off.

The blades that came with it were indeed original 1950s vintage. Cool to hang on to but not ideal for everyday use. I find modern stainless PTFE coated blades much more effective.

Linuxguile, AGHisBBS, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The Featherweight just won't give me a close shave, just too mild,... but nothing cumbersome about it. I wouldn't personally use any blade other than the current production Personna GEM stainless. Please don't assume the Featherweight is representative of all GEM/Ever-Ready razors, it's more of an odd-man-out.

Linuxguile, sdguero and Billyfergie like this.
  7. I have tried many gem style razors IMO if you want mild try the G Bar, Micromatic bullet tip or Clog pruf. In the middle would be the 1912 series, 1924 and the Blackland Sabre Level 1. On the more efficient side would be the Micromatic Open Comb and the Sabre Level 2 ( which is very smooth, yet very efficient). There are more but Haven’t tried them yet. Good luck, don’t give up Gems give great shaves, but use a modern blade

TestDepth, sdguero and Billyfergie like this.
  8. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I do like having the original blades. So thanks for that! I will give it a go again when I get the new blades

sdguero and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

upload_2017-11-20_1-31-36.jpeg
    The GEM Feather Weight was Really the Sister Razor to the Gem G Bar Otherwise Known by GEM as the Heavy Flat Top..They are on the Milder Spectrum But Very Nice Shavers..Both of these Razors were Often Marketed as the "Natural Angle Razor" at Various Times..The Featherweight was Mass Produced Cheaply to Compete with the Onslaught of King Gillette..:)

Billy..:chores016:

10. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing up the Heavy Flat Top, Billy. A great shaver with the same head design as the Featherweight. A bit more heft and pretty to look at.

Keep at it with the SEs, @Knox. Once you find the right razor and blade combo you'll forget what it felt like to shave with a DE. :p

TobyC and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

You absolutely must try it with a modern Gem blade. The 1912's are my favorite Gem style razor and the 1924's are nice too!

Billyfergie and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011: Try the Pesonna or Treet blades, both work fine for me. But I do find the extra weight of the Bullet Tip or G-Bar helps a lot with shaving.

Billyfergie likes this.