GEM Micromatic Open Comb Razor - MMOC /OCMM

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SteveF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. SteveF

SteveF New Member

When I shave with a GEM Micromatic Open Comb Razor - MMOC /OCMM, the shave is harsh and not comfortable, though the results (BBS) are excellent - (I have not cut myself, or gotten razor burn using this razor, but the shave is not comfortable, and it is harsh.). I achieve similar excellent shave results (BBS), and the shave IS NOT harsh, and IS comfortable with the following GEM razors: Damaskeene (with the rounded blade door), 1912 (with the flat blade door),Feather Weight, Flat Top Heavy - FTH/G-Bar, and the "Clog Pruf." Please give me your recommendation, as to what may be wrong with my shaving technique, when I shave with the GEM Micromatic Open Comb Razor - MMOC /OCMM, that is giving me a harsh and uncomfortable shave.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Less pressure. An extremely light touch is required with the MMOC.

twhite likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The difference between the Clog-Pruf and MMOC ain't much, a more aggressive razor simply requires greater attention to angle (start flat) and pressure (none). Also try long strokes which is what ASR recommended for the MM (and few observe). Also verify razor is in proper alignment and clamps tight. I have no different technique for the MMOC than any other in the series.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    twhite likes this.
  4. SteveF

SteveF New Member

I do closely follow and adhere to the GEM Micromatic shave instructions, e.g., "razor head flat against face," I use a "long, sweeping Master-Barber shaving stroke," and I use light pressure. The harshness that I experience, while shaving with the MMOC, is on all parts of my face.

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Are you using hardware store blades made for box cutters?

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I use the Gem Personna blades in mine. VERY light pressure and using the proper angle is the key. As already stated, try long strokes and just tilt the back head of the razor up slightly as you shave.

The MMOC is an aggressive razor and one can get great shaves from it, but it takes a bit of practice to get it right.

7. SteveF

SteveF New Member

I am using the GEM/Personna, stainless steel, PTFE coated blade.

8. SteveF

SteveF New Member

I shaved with the MMOC using Tabac shaving soap - (which has always been an excellent shaving soap for me to use with all other razors), I will try changing shaving soaps next time I use the MMOC, to see if that makes a difference.

9. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I always struggled with the MMOC, I gave up on it.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That ain't it. I can shave with the MMOC with just some oil. You sure your hardware is solid?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

twhite likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

He's right. It ain't the Tabac.

12. SteveF

SteveF New Member

The razor looks to be in good shape, and the blade appears to be properly aligned & seated properly against (& under) the blade stops.

13. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Finally got some GEM Personna PTFE coated stainless steel blades for my MMCP and just last night for the first time gave it a spin. I'm a long time straight shaver turned DE guy so it's new territory, but I'm used to finding the angle with super aggressive blades on my face. Triple inspected to ensure the blade was properly seated, exposed, and aligned. ZERO pressure, cap flat against my face.

Worst. Shave. Ever. Literally.

So rough, and more weepers than I've ever had from any shave. And stubble. Abandoned the SE half way through the shave, picked up a DE, finished my shave, cleaned the MMCP and hid it in a deep dark hole in my shave closet. Hours later the parts of my face touched by the GEM are Lava. It's gonna be a long while (if ever) before I get curious enough about it to try again.

Though it seems very unlikely, I can't help but wonder if the blade had some issues...? It seems like the only variable left in play...couldn't possibly be my technique <smugly crosses arms>...

14. SteveF

SteveF New Member

I shaved with the MMOC today using Shave Secret shaving oil - not quite, but nearly a perfect / & mostly a very comfortable BBS shave! I have never been a huge fan of using oils as a lubricant to shave with, but the Shave Secret sure worked well with the MMOC today!

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  16. SteveF

SteveF New Member

I have been shaving for over 40 years, and I only use cold water to shave with! I strongly agree with you, using cold water during the shaving process is by far the very best way to go!!!

Jayaruh likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I only use the MMOC when I skip shaving for a day or more. It seems to work better and doesn't seem as aggressive and works great.

Jayaruh likes this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I find the SS blades rough for a couple of shaves. The carbon steel blades are smooth from the start. Like @jmudrick I do not change technique for the ocmm. I run it flat on face..or very near..with a light touch.