Gem MM Clog Pruf info ... ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shamrock, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I'm looking at this razor, and wonder if anyone can give me some information on it. I've gotten some info through searching TSD, but I'm hoping for a little more specific info on this particular one. Worth picking up? (I know, that's subjective, I'm just looking for some opinions.)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As always, thanks for any help...love this place :)

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have one; great shaver. I find it a bit milder than its cousin, the Open Comb. Not sure on the date range, but no doubt Tom will know.

Shamrock likes this.
  3. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I have one, it's a good razor, all the micromatics have very good reputations, good shavers and great design. I believe they are the only TTO SE's. Come on, you know you want it.;)

178-bplatoon and Shamrock like this.
  4. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

LOL, yes, I want one - and I got it...now if someone still wants to slide me a little more info to educate me about this new aquisition, I'll gladly soak it in ;) :)

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tell us what you want to know.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I believe they predate the Gillette TTO by a few years...The ones(CP,MM & OCMM) I have all still work "VERY" well...While not my favorite SE's they are definately worth shaving with and having in your collection I.M.O. I feel the Gem SS blades work best in mine although YMMV...I think I read they were made in the early to mid 1900's like 30's to 50's, but that is just a guess on my part....A "Clog Pruf" was my first SE...Hope this helps you out some...:)

Make sure the blade stops on either side of the shave head gaurd are still intact and working properly....The razor is useless without both of them...

Shamrock likes this.
  7. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks for the added info 178-bplatoon - this is my first SE, so I'm looking forawrd to recieving it and test driving it...if the blade stops are there (info that I'm very glad you shared LOL)

8. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

All the Gem MMs are wonderful, well made, and bulletproof.

My favorite is the Gem MM Clog Pruf, which is considered to be the mid range of aggression of the MMs. It was made circa 1941-1949, and it gives an outstanding and comfortable shave. The most aggressive is the Open Comb (1929-1949) and the least aggressive is the Flying Wing (1948-1949), informally aka as the "Bullet Tip."

Shamrock likes this.
  9. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks Shave7 - so this is a Gem MM Clog Pruf, correct? (That's how I read it - sorry if it's a little simplistic as far as questions go LOL)

10. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I'm someone who loves history, and the more I know about something vintage, the more I appreciate it. I'm just curious what era this is from, and if there's anything that makes it unique from other razors; that type of thing. I've done some research, but I soak up information, and like to know all that I can find out about things like this. I'm new to traditional shaving, and am slowly becoming educated to its world, but the sponge in me wants to know more LOL.

Also, any preferences toward blades, and tips on using it?

Thanks.

fzrider likes this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

On closer examination(made the pic larger, duh) both stops look like they are still there...They are tiny and many times the sellers who usually don't know anymore and/or actually know less about the razor than the buyer will acccidently miss that one or both stops have been sheared off. The stops are easy to not see until you know to look for them...Sellers will usually make it right if you receive your SE with missing blade stops..There is noway to fix them as far as I know...

Shamrock likes this.
  12. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The CP is my favorite in the Micromatic line.

Shamrock likes this.
  13. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I went and looked at the pictures after your message, and I could see the stops you were talking about, and saw that they appeared to be in tact, though it is possible that one side is sheared, as one end is hard to tell in either of the pictures where the stops can be seen. I'll just have to wait and see, though the seller who listed the MM stated that it was in working order, and I assume that he means he has used it; based on the stops holding the blade in place so it doesn't slide around or out the front of the head, I'd have to believe that means they are in tact.

Thanks for the heads up either way.

14. sffone

sffone Member

The Gem MM Clog Pruf is my favorite razor -- and I have many razors including both vintage and modern. It is the one razor that stays in rotation. I also like the open comb MM, which predates the CP, but I find it to be a little too aggressive. Gem introduced the MM (open comb) in 1930, the Clog Pruf in 1941, followed in 1947 by the Flying Wing (bullet handled) version.

Shamrock and 178-bplatoon like this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

While his/her statement could cover the entire razor....It's been my experience that many times the seller means the mechanism is working fine(opening/closing) and doesn't know the blade stops even exist..Like I said the sellers I've dealt with haven't tried to "put one over" they just didn't realise about the stops(most people who have never examined/used an SE don't know about the stops) and the sellers did make it right when I told them about it...Since all of the Gems and EverReadies use them, in the future just always ask about the stops and then be prepared to explain what they are and where they are located to the seller..:)

Shamrock likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

Great info Steven, thanks for passing it on......:happy088:

Shamrock likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have all three, and I like the Clog Pruf and the Bullet Tip best. I always check to be sure that the blade seats on the stops correctly before I shave. They are great shavers.

Shamrock likes this.
  18. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I really appreciate all of the help and info, makes me feel really good about the purchase, and I hope both stops are in tact so it can test drive it.

19. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I love the history of items like this... It makes using it a lot more special to me.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  20. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

+1, I have picked up 3 of various ages (all older than myself) and the fact that I am using an allmost 100 year old razor to shave my face, wow.
    I have a Gem Micromatic that I have unintentionally used every day since I found it, it is by far my favorite. I have many new , and very nice razors and havent picked any of them up in days.
    The fact that 2 of the 3 I have picked up are single edge makes it even better. My Gem is open comb and shaves like a straight razor on a stick.
    The only new razor I plan to purchase is the soon to be offered single edge from Bullgoose.

Shamrock likes this.