Gem

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by icemanwbs, Nov 30, 2014.

1. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

I saw a 1940s Gem single edge at a local antique shop. Was thinking of grabbing it, clean up a bit and trying my hand at ebay.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Depending on the Gem and the price, it may not be worth your time or effort if you're not going to keep and use it. I'd suggest getting it, cleaning it up and actually trying it out. An SE can give a fantastic shave.

CyanideMetal and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Without any pictures or description I'm not sure anyone is going to commit themselves to a purchase or trade for an unknown razor. What model is it?

4. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

You can get the majority of Gem razors for under $20. Often well under depending on condition. Some nicer boxed ones go for more, but generally, still not by much. And eBay is absolutely chock full o' Gems. There are so many, you can pretty much pick your price if you are willing to dig in. Sadly, Gem doesn't have the cool factor Gillette does. Unless you can get it for crazy cheap ($1-$5) or it is in spectacular condition, it probably wouldn't be worth your time to do it. And judging from the fact that a) you didn't immediately buy it, and b) it needs to be cleaned up, I assume that it isn't crazy cheap, or in spectacular condition.
    I sell a limited amount on eBay, 10 to 20 items a month tops... basically enough to pay for my collecting habits... and it is far more work than one would think. Despite all that, it is kind of fun, so if you want to try it out, by all means, go for it... Sometimes, I really hate it, but then I spend the money that comes in on stuff I want, and I think 'well that was worth it'... other times I hate it, and I take the next month off from eBay! Bottom line, I would agree with the comments above, if you are interested, buy it and use it. You might like it. I bought my first Gem in a lot. Had no plans on using it. Now they are some of my favorite razors. I have about 10, and plan on getting more. Many more!

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Just a friendly reminder. All selling, trading or buying is to be done in the Marketplace.

6. icemanwbs

Thanks all who replied, I decided not to. I did get myself another slim adjustable though lol. A nice L1 for silly cheap. :eatdrink013:

7. icemanwbs

I didn't get it, I decided since I like the DE,s so much, I'm better off , for now, just sticking with them.