General Razors Owners Group (G.R.O.G.)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by clint64, Oct 15, 2017.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

For those not on the Colonial mailing list:

Hello Subscribers,

We are hoping you all are well and are excited to be receiving this email today from us! We want to keep this email short and sweet and to serve its purpose in revealing the next release date for our stainless steel General. We will be releasing this next batch of razors on 12/25/2017 at 11:00 AM ET. They can be purchased at colonialrazors.com. We anticipate 1-4 days to ship all razors. Take care and we are hoping to earn your business on this day!

Regards, Kirk and Kyle Evans

Flyingbald, Boojum1, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

December 19, 2017

Paladin El Dorado
    CRSW Select Lavish
    Colonial Razors The General with UFO TiTan Fine
    Feather Pro Super
    CRSW Lavish ASB
    Chatillon Lux Champs de Lavande

[​IMG]

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy096:

clint64 and Boojum1 like this.
  4. Boojum1

:thanks:

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  5. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

I saw that email update, I might still get this.. I have no issues with my Aluminum and I find the light weight is fantastic - just seems this is a great deal for a machined razor - I do see that RazoRock also has a cheap artist blade razor - hmmm - should I get that or this? this is stainless steel for 60 bucks - that is a good deal (until china makes it and it sells for 20 on aliexpress or something -haha)

6. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

22 December

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
    Brush: Brush X 24mm Horse, GarnerPW
    Soap: Lavender, Castle Forbees
    Razor: The General(Black Al.) w/ SS Handle, Colonial Razors
    Blade: Kai Pink (4)
    Post-Shave: Cold Water rinse, OSMA Alum block and Lilac Vegetal Aftershave, Pinaud
    Photo:
    SOTD 22 Dec 2017 2.jpg

Due to a last minute lineup change in my setup this morning I went with The General as I was wanting a Baby Dolphin Butt Smooth(BDBS) Shave. So I went with the equipment that I knew would give it to me and after three passes that is what I got. Though to be honest I am on the fence about getting the SS model on the 25th when it is released again.

7. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

A great shave today.....

0683D761-EC52-48A1-94C9-10D05057D529.jpeg

Electrif, GarnerPW, Boojum1 and 2 others like this.
  8. DesertTime

I was able to order the SS General this morning, just a few minutes past sale open (11 et). I checked later this afternoon and they sold out again. The aluminum razor was also sold out.

I'm glad to see this small company is doing so well, without all the crowd-funding drama. They build a razor and sell it, pretty simple business model.

I think they may be looking at a DE razor sometime in the future, or at least that's the impression I got from some correspondence with them a few months ago. I can't imagine a DE topping the performance their General, though.

clint64 and Str8on2 like this.
  9. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I recently borrowed the aluminum version of the General from a friend. Smooth, easy-to-use and efficient enough. A combo that has a place in my den. I therefore ordered the stainless version (as I enjoy a weightier razor) four minutes after the opening this morning. I'm very pleased, as I'm confident I'll enjoy this razor (assuming it functions like the aluminum version).

10. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

I got the aluminum general three weeks and ordered the stainless today. I’m very curious to see what the extra weight does to the shave. I’ll let you know. If someone already has both, I’d love to know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluffyskiador and clint64 like this.
  11. DesertTime

I have the Brass and the Aluminum and I prefer the Brass. I've had equally good shaves with both, but I prefer the weight of the brass. I've read others claim the Brass is slightly more aggressive, but I haven't found that to be the case for me. I've yet to read a review of the SS General -- if one's been posted, I've missed it.

Flyingbald and clint64 like this.
  12. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Where did you get the MR5 handle in brass?

Str8on2 and clint64 like this.
  13. Fluffyskiador

Fluffyskiador Active Member

[​IMG]

Hi gentlemen, I am a fortunate possessor of this wonderful razor and I use it in my rotations at least once a week and it is perfectly smooth and hurried.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

14. Str8on2

West Coast Shaving. It’s from their Vintage Collection line. Brass handle #84BR.

15. Boojum1

December 28, 2017

Thater Beehive White Boar
    Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
    Colonial Razors The General with Triad Helix Hex Ti
    Feather Pro Super
    Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
    Pino Silvestri

[​IMG]

16. GarnerPW

29 December

Brush: Brush X, Horse, GarnerPW
    Soap: Gravity, Uncle Jon's Shave Soap
    Razor: The General, Stainless Steel, Colonial Razors
    Blade: Kai Pink (5)
    Post-Shave: Cold Water rinse, OSMA Alum block and Wild Country Aftershave, Avon
    Photo:
    SOTD 29 Dec 2017 2.jpg

The SS General come in the mail yesterday, so I HAD to use it today. Just like the black aluminium one the SS one gives an effortless BBS shave. After two passes I am just that, effortlessly BBS. The only negative thing I could say about the razor is that it is heavy. No I mean really heavy. I have the Black Al General that I found to be a little light so I put a SS handle on it. That made it pretty good on weight. Now it may be that I'm just not used to the weight of the razor but I think I will put an aluminium handle on it for the next shave.

17. Boojum1

December 29, 2017

Envy Shave "Eight Ball" with White Two Band
    Knockout Shave Cotton
    Colonial Razors "The General" with Triad Helix Hex Ti
    Feather Pro Super
    Barrister and Mann Reserve Blue
    Brooks Brothers Blue

[​IMG]

clint64, Str8on2 and GarnerPW like this.
  18. Str8on2

An excellent first shave with the SS General. Just about the same feel in the hands with good balance and of course better grip than on the Brass General stock handle. Also, I noticed just a tad bit more blade feel. Very, very minor mind you, but I can feel the difference between the SS & Brass. Still is just as smooth and efficient as its Brass brethren. Superb fit and finish that would make you believe you should have paid double for it. Another winner from Colonial, hands down.

22D5061C-184E-4E9E-B9AD-B2EAC8E9D8C4.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    DesertTime, clint64 and GarnerPW like this.
  19. GarnerPW

30 December

Brush: 24mm Silvertip Frank Shaving (FS)
    Soap: Tobacco, Dirty Deeds Soap
    Razor: The General, Stainless Steel, Colonial Razors
    Handle: RazoRock Halo Ring Aluminium
    Blade: Kai Pink (6)
    Post-Shave: Cold Water rinse, OSMA Alum block and Virgin Island Bay Rum Aftershave, Clubman
    Photo:
    [​IMG]

I switched out the handle on the SS General for the handle that came on my RazoRock Black Hawk. It makes the razor very top heavy. Still though, it delivered a DAMN FINE BABY BUTT SMOOTH three pass shave.

20. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

Good night! My SS General showed up yesterday and shaved today with it. AMAZING! Haven’t shaved my dome or face in 10 days. This razor shaved so amazingly well! BOOM! I do believe this just took first place in the den. I had so much hair and it was gone on first pass. Shave:

Hot shower
    Mike’s coconut soap
    Big Bruce brush RR
    The General SS
    Alum
    Thayer’s
    Barrister Man Reserve spice

Boom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint64, Str8on2 and allyourbase like this.