Geo. F Trumper Vs. L'Occitaine Cade

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Vlasta, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Well into my creams now and making proper lather for a smoother and more satisfying shave. I have a Geo. F Trumpers Lime cream and as I was passing a local L'Occitaine store I picked up a tube of Cade shave cream.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The Cade cream (priced at approx $29) is described as:-

Complex with essential oil of CADE + essential oils of immortelle, sandalwood and rosemary
    Shea butter
    Glycerin
    Bisabolol extract

No alcohol, No BHA, No BHT, No EDTA, No formol or formaldehyde, No mineral oil (oil-free), No parabens, No phenoxyethanol, No phtalates, No synthetic colorants, No triclosan

For generations, a secret held by shepherds has been handed down from father to son. It tells of the extraordinary properties of Cade essential oil, extracted from plants that grow wild across the Mediterranean scrubland, which effectively protects the face against the outdoor elements. Discover our products for shaving, face and body care.

And the Trumpers thus:

Priced at approx. $22

Our best selling glycerine based Limes Soft Shaving Cream in a 200g screw thread bowl.

Just a small amount produces vast quantities of rich lather.

Suitable for normal skin.

So I decided to compare them on shaves 1 day apart.

Brush
    : Jagger Best Badger. Bowl: Kids old cereal bowl. Water: 60 degree C Tap

Trumpers - it is in a screw top tub so I swirled my hot water soaked brush for about 2 seconds to just cover the tips. Used the cereal bowl to whip up a good lather for approximately 60 seconds. plenty of ultra fine lather and only needed to add a few drops of water after about 30 seconds and again near the end as it seemed to be getting too thick. Produced enough for a generous 3 pass

Impression: Cream in tub and in use seems nice and slick. Gave good cushion and as for protection - I was using a cart so cannot comment.

Shave - ultra smooth. Great scent but could use more lime and be longer lasting

L'Occitaine - it is in a tube so I squeezed about the same "nut" sized glob into the bowl and set about the same whip. It was apparent very early that the lather was not so fine and the overall feel was thin so I had to add more soap - about another two nuts worth.... I then whipped in the same way as with the Trumpers. Plenty of bubbles, not so fine and just overall felt "thinner". Produced enough for a 3-pass

Impression: Cream in tube and in use seems sticky and thin if that makes sense. Gave reasonable cushion and as for protection - I was using a cart so cannot comment.

Shave - not a smooth as the Trumpers. Scent was good but not long lasting and I could discern no sandalwood or rosemary at all.

Overall - would opt for the Trumpers over the L'Occitaine even if only for value for money as the Trumpers will last longer by virtue of having to use less product to get a decent lather. Couple this with the great lime scent and the super fine lather then the Trumpers is a clear winner.

Anyone else care to do a comparison like this?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Kizurra and Keithmax like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Can't comment regarding Cade, but the Trumper's Limes shave cream has one of the best 'natural' lime scents I've ever smelled in a shaving cream.

Kiss my Face Key Lime outperforms it though. I still prefer the West Indian Lime scent of Trumper's...just not enough incentive there to buy it over KmF.

Kizurra likes this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Good review.

I have a tub of the Cade, not the tube. I assume they are the same. I get good performance from the Cade but find I use more products than other creams. The next time you try the Cade double or triple the amount. The cream I use the most is Castle Forbes and little goes a long way, I use 4 times more Cade than I do CF.

I have not the opportunity to try any of the Trumper's creams.

Kizurra and Vlasta like this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Tried a second shave with the Cade - worse than the first. Three times as much product and an inferior shave. I won't be buying it again.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Kizurra likes this.
  5. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

What is the scent of the Castle Forbes?

Kizurra likes this.
  6. Keithmax

They have three scents, lime, lavender and cedar wood & sandalwood. I like all of their scents but refer the lime and the cedar wood & sandalwood.

Kizurra likes this.
  7. Keithmax

Sell it or PIF. If it doesn't work for you send it on its way. What I do is put it away for 6 months and try again. If it fails again it is out via sale or PIF.

Kizurra likes this.
  8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    What does PIF mean?

Kizurra and Keithmax like this.
  9. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Aha - you mean give it to someone who might want to try - good idea. First come, first served. A Cade handaround.....

Kizurra and IDuck like this.
  10. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I know your a big fan of KmF, do you have a pic of the one you use? is just that "pump" style you see at whole foods? and do you use a brush to lather it?...I have almost picked some up but I was unsure.

Kizurra likes this.
  11. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

Im in, was going to buy some.

Kizurra and Vlasta like this.
  12. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    PM me your name/address.

Kizurra, IDuck and Keithmax like this.
  13. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

check box, let me know

14. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Got it - will mail Monday.

IDuck likes this.
  15. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

SO AWESOME! thanks @Vlasta

Vlasta likes this.
  16. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    The cream is in the mail my friend. Enjoy it or pass it around. Let me know how it goes for you.