Geo. Wostenholm & Sons. Pipe Razor Restore.

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Aug 24, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, this one was one of the nastier scales I've run across. Since I have a hard time throwing things away, I thought I would give this a shot at restoring this thing.
    The photos of the before shots definitely make the Horn scales look better than they really were. The Horn scales were broken off, at the pivot pin tip. the rest of the scales were badly chipped, all over, split, all over, and peeling badly, towards the wedge area. It looked more like a dogs chew toy.

Geo.Wostenholm & Son's. Piper Razor. True Wedge.
    Before anything.
    Wosty Pipe 1b pre.JPG
    Wosty Pipe 1a pre.JPG

So, I tried something new, that I don't know if its been done to this extent before. I wanted to stabilize the scales, and keep them from worsening. I let the entire razor scales sit in warm soapy water, for approx 20 minuted, to remove any oils. I then scrubbed them with an old toothbrush.
    I let it air dry overnight. Over the next two weeks, I applied many many coats of Cyano Acetate to the scales, being careful to not get too much in the pivot area. So, apply, let dry two days, repeat. After all chips, valleys, and peeling areas were completely filled, I let it dry several more days. I then wet sanded the scales using a progression from 220-1500 grit. I then reshaped the pivot area, that was missing a chunk. Next I sanded that area a little more. To finish the scales, I used some Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover, then applied some Carnuba Wax. After I polished it with a cloth, I noticed some areas that could use some minor touch-ups, but I'm done for now, with the scales. The cracks, chips and peeling are all filled and stabilized.

Next was the time intensive part. The blade required a lot of progression sanding to get a lot of the pitting out. Not all was taken out, because the hand was cramping and I was just tired of sanding. Next come the honing, when I have more time.
    So, whatcha think??

After.
    Wosty Pipe 2a.JPG

Wosty Pipe 2b.JPG

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Well done. Keep it up sir!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

DaltonGang, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Good job.

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Very nice!

DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:eatdrink047::signs021: Great restoration!

DaltonGang likes this.
  6. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

You have done well with this restore. The scales (and blade) look great!