geometry ... epiphany

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by gmaugie007, Mar 17, 2015.

1. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

so ... i'd been wet shaving five or so weeks ... lots of reading, video watching, and general research before and during. several times, i'd hear or see a 30 degree angle being mentioned ... at least as the starting point for the new guy. all faces are different and razors are different. so, it seems like 30 is used as a good starter angle.

HOWEVER, the starting position does make a difference. for some reason, i was starting with the handle plumb/vertical ... and moving the handle up about 30. after five weeks of irritation and frustration with a few nice shaves mixed-in, i pulled up a video where (mantic59, i believe) the guy actually demonstrated the starting position ... level/HORIZONTAL... !?!?!?! ... epiphany

i followed up that video with searching all TSD threads for 'angle' ... and confirming what i had just watched.

for five weeks, i'd been 30 degrees off ... 30 up from vertical ... instead of 30 down from horizontal ... leaving 30 in between. 30 degrees up from vertical ... just the right angle for the blade to scrape, scrape, scrape my skin ... all the way from north to south.

now, for a week and 1/2, i've been starting from a new 'home' position. my face appreciates it, and i appreciate it.

ahhh, where would i be without the interwebs, youtube, and TSD ... ?!?!?

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent! :happy096:

3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

You've been epiphed.

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. Pete E

Pete E Member

When you hit the correct angle, you will hear and feel the razor "sing" as it starts to cut the bristle..Its quite distinctive and that tells you the blade is at the correct angle and cutting. Once you start to hear the "noise", you can then fine tune the angle by altering it slightly to get the best cutting effect/most noise. The window for fine tuning is quite small to you only need to change the angle by a fraction, but you will soon feel/hear the correct point.

Bristle Me, clint64 and GDCarrington like this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Time, technique, practice and patience are all you need to get great shaves. I'm happy to see your shaves are getting better and better! :happy088:

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Micah Jenkins

Micah Jenkins Active Member

As a new wet shaver the only thing I feel is missing from this post is a link. Please share. I'd love to be "epiphed" as well. Thank you.

clint64 likes this.
  7. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Gave yourself a nice, spa dermabrasion treatment too. Now you can start fresh wetshaving a brand new face :happy088:

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Here ---> *click*

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Exactly right! Bravo.

10. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Something should…

11. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

angleLink#1 ... while the whole video is good stuff, the angle is at about the 5:35 mark

angleLink#2 ... about the 2:30 mark

David Green likes this.
  12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Pretty soon you'll be shaving at the proper angle without even giving it a second thought and that 2 pass+ BBS will be a daily ease.

13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Is he "Riding the Cap" there?? I believe he is.

14. Micah Jenkins

Micah Jenkins Active Member

Well, a couple weeks after watching the video, and putting it into action my face is loving it. I am getting a CCS with two passes with no irritation at all. I can do two more passes to get a BBS but with some red spots where I always had rough razor burn with a Fusion. I probably should have watched these videos months ago.

gmaugie007 likes this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You would have found it eventually. Tune in to the "singing" of the blade as it mows down the whiskers.