German Wilkinson's

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bronco, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I shaved this morning using the German Wilkinson's in my English Red Tip SS.
    I have heard for months now how they were trash.... I beg to differ.
    I found them to be similar to a Derby but smoother. They actually seem to be better than the Classic Wilkinson's made in England and every bit as smooth as the newer UK Wilky's. YMMV :D A very nice shave indeed, it's now seven hours later and I have very little stubble on my neck. They are not quite as smooth as the Crystal's which is my go to blade and is almost infallible. They are sharp and if you don't watch the pressure you will get the "burn". All in all another decent blade that I can purchase locally and will use.

2. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I had the same experience: the German Wilkinsons did a better job (for me) than the English ones. Once again it's proved that one must rely on his own experience with a brand of blade and not simply accept what someone else says about his experience.

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

You are quite correct Michael. Many times I have dashed off to try something that someone was raving about only to be disappointed and wondering if I was weird. This said, each of us has to try different things in order to find what is right for us so the experiences did have value. It's all a matter of personal preference. This doesn't mean we all shouldn't "brag" :D on what we find and like. I do enjoy trying new things.
    .........and the second shave with the German Wilky was even better than the first.

4. Rufus

Rufus New Member

I found the first German Wilkinson I used gave me a very good shave, better than a Derby or Merkur. Since then I've used two more of these blades and the shave I've had from both was atrocious; in fact I stopped using the second of the two this morning and replaced it with a Derby after my first pass. These two blades seemed to rip at my beard rather than cut the stubble. I still have a few of the G Wilkinsons left so I'll try another one in the near future. Of the blades I've tried recently (Merkur, Derby, US Personna and German Wilkinson) I much prefer the Merkur: I can get a BBS shave with it and there is very little variation from blade to blade.

5. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

I haven't tried the German Wilkinson in my 55 SS Red Tip. I get a great shave using my Milord. Not so good with the 54 or 78 SS's.

6. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

There you go, blades work differently for some people and in some razors.

7. Will

Will Nevermind

Bronco was cool nuff to send me a 5 pack of these.

First impression is...................................WOW!

Very sharp and Very gentle, Give me a few more shaves but so far :happy096

8. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Bronco Rules !

Steve was gracious enough to send me a pack as well.
    Dropped 1 in my Slant tonight and took it for a quickie.
    1P shave with pretty decent results.
    Seemed to shave smoothly, even tho I rushed it a bit.
    Ill leave it in the Slant for a few shaves and see how it goes.....

9. herzi

herzi Active Member

The german guys at nassrasur.com say these blades are crap. I don't know I haven't tried them. (Just to hear another opinion)

10. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Yep, I've heard others say that they're terrible. I've heard the same thing about: Feathers, Israelis, Derbys, Merkurs, and so on. And I've also heard that the very best blade of all is: Feathers, Israelis, Derbys, Merkurs, and so on.

It's still clear: one's response to a given brand of blade is not correlated with someone else's response. One simply has to try the brand.

11. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You're very right. Blades are definitely a personal choice thing and not all blades work well with all razors for some people. Got to try them and make your own decision. Sometimes you have to leave them alone for a few months and try again. Sometimes you get surprised.