Getting closer to the bbs

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Paul76, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Hello everybody, just came across this site and found some good info on here so I thought I would join in search more shaving knowledge. I have been sr shaving for 3 months now getting pretty good at it and also found that I have an antique razor addiction too. I already have 3 and 2 more on the way. I'm assuming that never stops,.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Paul76! Glad you joined us. Plenty of straight razor shavers around. If you have questions right here is a good place to start. Plenty more folks will be along to help out!
    Check out the Newbie Giveaway. Read the rules to make sure you qualify.

Paul76 likes this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den. Great to have you here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Paul76 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!

Paul76 likes this.
  5. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Paul76 likes this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome, ads do go into remission. So fear not, aficionados not junkies.

Paul76 likes this.
  7. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den amigo......:signs046:

Paul76 likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @Paul76 you've got more guts than I have using a SR!

Paul76 likes this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Paul76 likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome to the Den @Paul76.
    There are plenty of members of the Dark Side around here. But all they have are cookies. Pah!! We have likker. You've come into the right place. There is a lot of info available, dive on in! Enjoy your shaves.

Paul76 likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @Paul76 , glad to hear you are getting closer to bbs.
    zwelcome2a.jpg zBABY.jpg

Paul76 likes this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy036:a new member of the dark side as we call SR shaving here. Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

Paul76 likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Paul76

I hope you enjoy it here. The "desire to acquire" never stops it seems. Be happy if SR collecting is the only AD you get.:happy088: I can't get a close, enjoyable shave from a Straight, but I still have maybe 40 of them. Don't ask about DE's and SE's.:)

RyX and Paul76 like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

Paul76 likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The single best piece of advice I ever read on getting consisent BBS without irritation was here at the Den (of course):

Blade buffing. Quick, light, very short strokes (1/2" max) over one small area, then gauge the closeness with your fingers, repeat until satisfied. Then move on to the next area, then the next. Works like a charm, goes faster than you might think it would, and I usually only need to do it on the neck. It's now a habit with me, no matter what razor I use.

178-bplatoon, RyX and Paul76 like this.
  16. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome, once I had a professional honed razor every shave keeps getting better! Now the first rzor I had was a cheap new zebra kit, that thing looked nice but would not hold an edge at all. After about 1/4 of my shave it just kept getting worse. Part I'm sure was me having very little idea of how to use a sr proplerly. I was very fortunate to learn about buffing strokes early on.
    Still working on technique, and what angle to use when and where. It's great having resources like this site to get advice, because without them I would have gone back to the cartridge razor.

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  17. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

Welcome. Shave happy.

Paul76 likes this.
  18. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den! :happy088:

20. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

IMG_0045.JPG Just had my first sr shave whiout a single cut! used my Bismarck 406. It's an old one but it shaves amazingly. And I honed it myself.