Getting into fragrances the right way

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Demidog, Feb 12, 2017.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's BS. Just saying. It doesn't smell like feces because of where it's located. It smells that way because animals use it to mark territory.
    Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. If you really want to know more about musk:

Odor profile: Naturally the byproduct of the anal glands of exotic civet cats (technically not cats), which smells very pungent and fecal but which gives an amazing radiance and warmth to florals. Now synthetically replicated with civetone for ethical reasons.

African civet lives in savannahs and forests of South and central Africa, while Indian civet lives in Nepal, Bangladesh and Vietnam. These animals produce odorous secretion with purpose of marking their territory. Diluted, after some time, the odor of civet secretion, which normally is strong and repulsive, becomes pleasant with animalistic-musk nuance. For the purpose of collecting this secretion, animals are kept in cages. Luckily, this scent is nowadays mainly synthetic.

RyX and Demidog like this.
  2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Musk originally comes from use of the contents of the musk glands of the male Musk Deer. Due to the decline of the Musk deer other animals are being used to produce similar scents including the Civet, Hyraceum, and even the Beaver. All mammals have such/similar glands including humans. The scent is pungent because this is how most animals (especially males again) - leave their "scent" to mark their territory and or to attract the opposite sex. The location of the gland does not cause it to smell like feces but rather like musk - which in its natural state is not a very pleasant scent. Former comment was meant in jest - perhaps I should have put a smiley face on it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    RyX, Demidog and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    @Col C ;) <<<this smiley is the one to use for 'tongue in cheek' posts or 'just kidding' posts.

I would have let it slide, except someone thought you were serious.

Col C and Demidog like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

On deer, beaver and other mammals, musk glands are on the tail, which is close to where @Col C mentioned.

5. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I went to the mall yesterday with a list of fragrances that I wanted to try. I checked Nordstrom but their cologne section was so small and tucked away that I had trouble finding it. There was one guy spraying every tester into sample vials and stuffing them into his messenger bag. I'm guessing that those vials are on ebay now. The sales lady was very nice but she seemed eager to sell me some John Varvatos Blu.

They don't carry any Creed colognes as they are apparently special order. Of the colognes on my list, they only had Acqua di Gio and YSL La Nuit de l'Homme. I couldn't even smell the Acqua di Gio after smelling the Varvatos Blu, even after using the coffee beans to clear up. I felt out of place and it seemed like I should have showed up in a three piece suit.

I also got to smell a family member's Polo green a few days ago, which is probably my favorite so far. I was close to buying some for myself but I thought that I should wait and see if I can somehow smell the other colognes on my list. I also know that Proraso is coming out with some colognes in April and considering how much I love Proraso blue and red, I figured that it was worth waiting to see what they have to offer.

RyX likes this.
  6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Know the feeling. I go to Seattle fairly often. The flagship store for Nordstrom is there along with a very large Macy's. Both are a waste land for mens fragrances and other shave related products. While men get one or two counters dedicated - women get an entire floor. I suppose thats where the money is. Plus the sales people in both stores (men and women) were clueless. When I mentioned wet shaving and double edge razors - they went blank.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Demidog likes this.
  7. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I got into fragrances after discovering the shave forums. Have well over 50 colognes.

Kind of wish I would have bought just 8 to 10. But variety is nice. Different scents for different seasons. Never used to be able to do this. But after your nose gets more refined. You can tell the difference in quality of colognes. My old cheapies don't smell as good as they used too. LoL.

Demidog likes this.
  8. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

What would you consider your old cheapies? I'd hate to walk around smelling like cheap cologne to someone else.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Lol.

Avon?

Demidog likes this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

@Demidog I agree Basenotes is the forum for scents and their discussions get very heated. Sample before you blow big bucks, where a scent several times before making a buy. I used https://surrendertochance.com/ , they are trustworthy, have a huge selection and you can buy various sizes. I have used Basenotes to buy splits and saved allot of money, look for a splitter that has done allot and has a good reputation, much safer then fleabay.

Everyone's nose and body chemistry is different so what may work for you will not work for others.

RyX and Demidog like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Here are a couple of good cheapies:
    Mr Blass - bill Blass
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Dior Eau Savauge
    Dior Fahrenheit

Demidog likes this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Demidog likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

can these be accepted as aftershaves, too? (Thinking Aqua Velva Aftershave Cologne, for instance).

14. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Endless Ocean Pacific
    Diesel zero plus
    Wings
    Green Adventure (a polo knockoff)
    Classic Match (a polo blue knockoff)
    Bill Blass
    Sung Pour Homne
    Nautica Voyage
    Paris Hilton man or something? That was gifted to me.

These don't do anything for me. I may use 1 or 2 of them occasionally. If I never used them again it wouldn't bother me either.

If I thought there was any interest in them. I would put them on the B\S\T.

Demidog likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's been months, maybe a season or two since I went inside The Mall. Ulta had a decent 12 or 16 feet of double sided free standing shelf in the direct center of the store. Billy Jealousy shave products? They did have a couple dozen or more EDT, colognes, and AS. I think that's because the teen age boys shoplift and it's in every security cameras view range. Or for when you follow your SWMBO into the store you can walk around the shelf unit and keep an eye on Her.
    Death Star radar.jpg

Demidog likes this.