Gillette 1918 Military?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jayaruh, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I would love to have a full set, but at least I have the head. I got this Frankenrazor in a trade. The fat handle is from the 30s or 40, but the head is from 1918 and was made for the military. It is in pretty good shape, too. All the teeth are straight, and the plating is pretty much in tact.

1918OT_02.jpg
    Serial number is F651327. According to the Gillette razor code website:​

E449208-J7344
    Plus F/G/H (no I) J Series all U.S. military
    3.5 million razors were made for US forces in WWI.​

The ball end handles of the era were notorious for their cracking. No doubt the original handle died, and the owner added this handle to make it useful again. This fat handle was pretty rough and has plating loss, but the threads are great, and it tightens up just fine.

1918OT_01.JPG

1918OT_03.JPG

1918OT_04.JPG

1918OT_05.JPG

1918OT_06.JPG

sdguero, AGHisBBS, TobyC and 5 others like this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I thought only "J" razors were for sure military 1918-1919.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You may be right, Toby, but a guy can dream.

sdguero and TobyC like this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

"One of those products, the U.S. Service Set, was introduced by the Gillette Safety Razor Company (as it was known then) during World War I. There were two versions, the khaki set and the metal set. The Gillette khaki set was issued to the soldier, but the metal set was available for the purchase price of five dollars from retailers such as Sears Roebuck and Company. It was marketed as the gift the soldier in service would like to have, and many were purchased by family and friends. The metal tin came with a handle, razor head, a pack of blades, and a mirror on the interior of the lid. The exterior of the lid was embossed with U.S. Army and Navy insignia."

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1153449

sdguero and Jayaruh like this.
  5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Very true! :happy088: I think the one I have is an "F" also, the plating had some peely spots, so I had the nickel removed. I like bare brass anyway. :)

sdguero likes this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

sdguero and Jayaruh like this.