Gillette '65 + blades = rust...?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by davis749, Sep 9, 2008.

1. davis749

davis749 New Member

Hi all,

I have been using a '65 Gillette Slim Adjustable with various blades and have noticed what appears to be rust forming on the bottom of the hinged doors and against razor blades. The corrosion seems to appear within 2-3 shaves with Personna's and about 5 shaves with Derby's.

When I purchased the razor, I first used Brasso (no luck), then turned to a variety of sanitation tips found online (boiling water with baking soda and aluminum foil, dish soap and boiling water, etc.). I did a final cleanup with Maas polish (by the way, check Walmart for super cheap tubes); I have since completed one soap-scum cleanup with scrubbing bubbles and water. Hopefully I haven't been to hard on the old guy; it should be noted that there are a couple of spots that seem to be less silver and more bronze in color.

Is this rusting (I presume it to be rusting) normal? Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

It isn't the razor rusting, but the blade itself, and it stains the razor. Like you said, you can clean it off with some work. There has been some discussion of why some people have problems with it, and why some don't and I think the consensus was the water. I don't have any good advice to prevent it, but maybe if you dip it in alcohol after a shave it will get rid of that moisture that is causing the problems.

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Try some mineral or olive oil.

Oiling blades keeps the rust off and so should that.

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Also, the razor is cast and than plated. Brass doesnt rust, it just turns.

5. davis749

davis749 New Member

Thanks so much!