Gillette 7 O'clock Sharp Edge (Russian)

Discussion in 'Blade Reviews' started by suffolksupplies, Nov 19, 2007.

1. I tried these in a Feather Popular razor & found them to have a sharp edge. They lasted 3 shaves each side & each time I got a good shave. Not quite as sharp as Feather & not smooth enough for me.

Paul

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I liked these a lot. They much reminded me of a sharp brand blade, with increased longevity.

3. Hi All,

I've used 3-4 of these blades, and have a good handle on how they perform for me. I'll put it this way: I just ordered 100 more.

I prefer Iridiums and Feather blades, having decided on those after much trial and error. These Gillette's though...........I really like em. Yeah, I'm adding these to my small rotation, and for a few reasons.

These things are nice and sharp, but still very forgiving. They give me 4-5 excellent shaves (and probably more if I pushed it). They run about 25-40 cents a blade, which isn't bad. Plus, they're good to include when selling a razor.....a nice touch.

Well, you can see how I rated these blades, but obviously that's just me. Heh, sometimes I get lucky.

Hope that helps,
    Martin

4. apswartz

apswartz New Member

I love these blades. I seem to do very well with them.

They last a whole week for me (about six or seven shaves).

I rarely ever get any weepers or nicks with them.

They seem to be reasonably priced.

5. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

I was a long-time Derby fan, but quite accidentally (sort of) came into a pack of vintage Gillettes, that are by all accounts the same as Swedish Gillettes. So I thought "what the heck", and I started using the pack of G's. They were ok. I didn't think them especially better or worse than the Derbys I had been using.

Then I finished up the last of the G's, and opened up a fresh new Derby. Man, was it harsh by comparison. Keep in mind that Derbys had been my favorite, and that the G didn't seem like anything special in comparison. But when switching back to the Derby, the difference was really apparent. I just couldn't use the Derby after that. Looking back from this point, I realize that those occasional ingrowns I experienced when using the Derbys (but never attributed to the blades) had completely stopped while I had been using the G's.

So, I went through the rest of my drawer to see what other blade samples I might have laying around, no way was I going to pay Swedish G prices. I happened upon a blade review on SMF of the Dorco ST-301, and found one in my drawer, so I put it in the razor. It was nice and smooth. And cheap. But, only lasted for 3 shaves. That was a dealbreaker for me.

After a bit more fishing in the drawer, I found a Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge (yellow) blade. I figured "hey, I liked the other Gillette, let's see what this one can do". Well, I was not disappointed. It was darn near as sharp as I ever remember a feather being. And it was SMOOTH. Whereas the feather is a bit rough, and can easily bite unpredictable, the yellow 7 o'clock glides across my face smooth and easy.

So far these blades are by far my favorite, and at $26(ish) for 100 they are very reasonable in price for the 10-15+ shaves I can get from them (very careful to dry the blade post-shave, so as to prohibit any rust/oxidation from lingering water). Highly recommended, give them a try if you get the chance.

I also feel the need to add, for any new wetshavers that may try either the 7 o'clock blades once or twice and end up with a bad shave: these sharper blades do not tolerate bad technique well, the "zero pressure" rule is extra important with these.

What I mean is, if you grab a Dorco ST-301, you can easily press too hard on your face and still not get cut. With a 7 o'clock, it's too sharp for this.

It's utterly smooth, but if you err and use pressure, or a wrong angle, you may well get cut. No pressure, proper angles, and you'll do fine. At least that's been my experience (full disclosure: I've yet to cut myself with a 7 o'clock). That combination of sharp + smooth is what allows these to cut like lasers, without being rough at all on the face.

The only minor negative? Those FOUR stinking glue spots on the blade. FOUR?! Sheesh. Someone shoot me a PM if you find an easy way to get rid of that glue.

Regards.

J

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Those blades sure manage to wedge them selves pretty good into razors because of those glue spots. Always glue side up in TTOs and down in 3pc razors.

7. Just a quick update:

I got my 100 from Paul a while back, and have been using em a lot since then. These are definitely as enjoyable to me as my favored Iridiums, which have been great for my face. Nice to find a suitable replacement, since those are tough to find now.

I'd been using Swedes before the Iridiums, and thought they were about the best everyday blade. Pricey, but an excellent shave was worth the cash to me. Man.........these Gillette blades are less than half the price, and work even better.
    Martin

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Second Favorite Blade, but too expensive to buy bulk

Sharpness - As sharp as you can get without being unforgiving
    Longevity - Lasts at least as long as any other blade for me
    Skin Friendly - Second only to Astra Superior and a couple Treets
    Quality - Never experienced or heard of a bad blade
    Price - A bit on the high side. But, if I couldn't get just as good a blade for less, I'd pay it.

Overall, my #2 blade behind Astra Superior which is far less expensive.

9. akhorosh

akhorosh New Member

They are great blades.
    Only Feather blades are better then these blades.

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I got in some of these blades for no money, and I must say that they are very sharp, but brutal on my skin. I ended up giving them away. :(

11. DSB

DSB New Member

I love these blades. I just bought 100 of them from WCS after trying out a five pack. My only complaint is that they are expensive. I get three shave out of them, which I'd be happier with if they were cheaper. There is a UK vendor that has them cheaper than WCS, but I prefer to do business with WCS. I think the combination of this blade in my Gillette SS Red Tip is near perfection. The blade is very sharp, consistent, smooth, and forgiving. Those are the qualities that make a great blade, for me.

12. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Nines across the board from me.

I really like these blades. They're easy on my skin and are sharp enough. I like the Blacks perhaps a bit more, but these are a great deal when purchased in bulk; especially when compared to Feathers (which I also like).

Have to agree with the "what's up with the goo blobs?" comments...

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I know you shouldn't review a blade after just one shave but I just tried my first yellow 7 o'clock. Considering yesterday's shave was a fairly rough and nicky one (aggressive injector with a vintage, less-than-smooth blade), the result today was great - no nicks at all, anywhere. While it isn't the the smoothest blade I've ever used, it's reasonably smooth. As noted above, it's strength seems to be a good combination of sharp yet forgiving. Good blade.

14. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Thanks for the good advice.

15. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

I just tossed out the first blade from my sampler because the glue, face down on my Rocket was sticking in the razor and causing a funny rattling sound as it shaved. I always clean my Rocket between blades with a tooth brush and some tooth paste (never on the shiny head). So I was surprised to see glue inside my Rocket. I can use another blade with glue up, but why the glue?

16. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

The Russian blades seem to use a lot of glue (or wax). My guess is it's to keep the blade in place on the paper while it's folded and to keep the blade from rattling around in its paper package and dulling the edge.

17. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

Well, the blade is very good, about a B+, but I won't tolerate the glue gumming up the inside of my Rocket.